Re: putting a program icon back on the desktop

Michael <michael_boyd.70359@...>

Yes, and if you do as I do in many instances, instead of opening File Explorer and navigating via that method, I will deselect the desktop icons, right click the desktop, and then pick shortcut from "new" in the context menu. Since I usually do not know the path to the file, I simply select browse to find it and use the tree view to do so. Nothing more than personal preference. Theare probably 3 or 4 different ways to skin this particular cat.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 3:41 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] putting a program icon back on the desktop

Although what you are describing is necessary in Explorer if you are
navigating using the treeview, but not with the listview.
----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 4:37 PM

I'm not sure to which browse dialog you are referring, but this is not required in the browse dialog for a new shortcut.
From: "Michael via Groups.io" <michael_boyd.70359=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 4:17 PM

If Bill is using the browse function to locate the executable file to send a shortcut to the desktop, it is possible that the folder which contains this file has the "Closed/Open" access by using the left and right arrow keys. If you open the folder by pressing the right arrow key, most single files will not appear in this view. You must first press the space bar to ensure that the folder is in focus, then tab to open the contents of the folder. In this view, you will see all files and folders within the folder. Scroll down to the executable file, press the Applications key and select either "Create Shortcut" or "Send To" to get your shortcut back onto the desktop.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 12:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I'm not sure what you mean by the wizard. How exactly are you trying to add
the shortcut back to the desktop?
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 10:49 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] putting a program icon back on the desktop

Hi Everyhone,
I finally got around to see if I could get the dvd audio icon back up on the desktop, and when I went ot the browse, that program wasn't in the list. So, I don't know exactly what to do about telling the wizzard where the program is, any help please?
bill K.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.