Re: An alternative to Drop Box

Veronica Kirk

Gene, I hope you will continue to share your tutorials as by listening or reading tutorials is the best way that I can learn about how a computer works.

Veronica

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 12:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] An alternative to Drop Box

Some are mp3 files but some are in written form and one or two are series, such as hours long Internet tutorials. 

I don't know what the Blind Geek Zone accepts but it is probably considerably more restrictive than what I currently have on Drop Box.  I might consider using Google Drive.  I'd have to learn how to do it. 

Downloading from google Drive appears to be easy, though a bit different from what people already know about but a brief explanation should be all that is needed to allow them to do so.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 11:59 PM

Hi, a thought here. Why not just upload your files to the BGZ (Blind Geek Zone site) that is if they are podcast. Another solution and it is not free is to create your own site and have them up on it. You could start small and then build up as needed if you ended up with a lot of files and band width. You can also use Google drive or One drive but it is not easy to share files with them as it is with drop box. You can do it but there is a lot more steps. I don’t know if they have a band width cap or not. I don’t know if you could by paying for a drop box account would solve the band width problem or not but I wuld think it would for the most part.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 10:45 PM

But most people don't know how to do this and most people don't even know there is a risk.  I want to share files of my work and useful programs people may be interested in, but not in a way that is potentially risky. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 9:40 PM

Fair point about the file limits for free accounts; however, the potentially malicious ads could be easily be bypassed with Firefox and the right assortment of protective addons.

Joe

--

Musings of a Work in Progress:

www.JoeOrozco.com/

Twitter: @ScribblingJoe

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 9:13 PM

SendSpace free accounts have a 300 MB file size limit and downloads expire after a month of inactivity.  Also, the constant ads which are potentially malicious in some cases, make SendSpace an almost useless alternative in my opinion.

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 8:59 PM

Have you tried SendSpace?

--

Musings of a Work in Progress:

www.JoeOrozco.com/

Twitter: @ScribblingJoe

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 3:50 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] An alternative to Drop Box

Evidently, some downloadsI offer are becoming well enough known that I should consider getting a higher capacity service.  I'm using a free Drop Box account and I just found out my public links are generating too much traffic and are temporarily disabled.  I would consider placing certain files I believe to be popular and/or are also large files on an alternative free service. 

What services do people like?

Gene

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.