Digital Receipts

Walter Ramage

Hi guys.  The following figures refer to the UK, other nations may have other rules and standards.  It was the time when legally you were wise   to keep receipts and invoices for 5 years.  Now for individuals the time is 1 year (banks and other institutions are expected to keep records for a bit longer, 2 or 3 years I think).  Now though with on line trade I just wonder what the time span is.  I have receipts from Amazon, utilities and a multitude of other sources including software companies.  These amount to hundreds of files and I just wondered just how worthwhile it is keeping them.  As for software, I always keep activation keys and the purchase receipts but for a download from Amazon, I can't imagine I need to keep that sort of stuff for any length of time.  Does anybody have any idea of how long one should keep these things but if not, what do you do?  Walter.