Re: Blind bargains podcast#65(Blind guy who was denied service)

Brent Harding

I hope I won't have to find out the hard way when it comes to Uber testing out the idea of adding significant extra cost for when the driver can't find where I am quickly enough. For work, there are several entrances far enough around a big building to where I wouldn't hear cars at the other two I don't use, which can add extra time to the equasion, as some drivers are not very familiar with the area or the streets I mention where I am being close to. On top of that, the whole trip is a short enough distance where a no-show would be more profitable than if I am there, and in the new scheme, even more so. What I interpreted from tech sites is that it could be 2 minutes after arrival notification, it's $5 extra, then in 3 minutes from there, it would be a $10 cancellation penalty and no ride.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blind bargains podcast#65(Blind guy who was denied service)

Yes and reasonable accommodation would allow an exception for late night when the lobby of the place is closed and there is a blind man with no way to drive a car come thru the drive thru to take his order and give it to him! It is not like this was a huge inconvenience to them or would cost them a huge amount of money! I personally know as since my last 14 years I was a 5O8 tester for the Florida legislature.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 2:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blind bargains podcast#65(Blind guy who was denied service)

The ADA clearly specifies "reasonable accommodations." The key word being reasonable.

Should Target or Uber or this business create alternative apps or business models for quadriplegics? for those in a coma, or for schizophrenics?

The McDonald's burn injury was a female, and in the end she did not receive millions.

Gerald, you're a conspiracy theorists and you take situations and take them to their insane extremes. If there are so many conspiracies against you, why not dump all this technology and dump any interaction with businesses and governments. Stop subjecting yourself to such horrible treatment by society.

JR

----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 11:15 AM

Well, maybe this blind guy who was refused service at the McDonald’s drive-through window should hire the same lawyer who successfully sued them for millions on behalf of a client who claimed that he was seriously injured when a scalding cup of coffee spilled on his lap. To be perfectly blunt, companies discriminate against the disabled every day and get away with it. You could make a strong argument that Uber discriminates against disabled people who, for whatever reason, cannot use a smart phone to book a ride with them. I know a guy who is thinking of suing Uber because dexterity problems prevent him from using a smart phone, and so he believes that in order to comply with the ADA, Uber must provide an alternate means of booking rides using a conventional land line or basic cell phone. Does he have a case? Maybe. After all, everyone and his uncle seems to be suing Uber thesedays over something or other.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 1:46 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Blind bargains podcast#65(Blind guy who was denied service)

Well on the blind guy that was refused service for coming thru the drive thru. This is wrong as there should be an exception in the policy! It is just that plain and simple for a Blind or visual person. Also what happen to the manager or supervisor that night! Anyone with plain common sense would have made an exception in this manner! As JJ has said this reaches much farther than just fast food drive thru! There needs to be acception for these cases. Also I don’t know if their policy has not broken the ADA law on this . Shouldn’t the drive through be accessible as well? They could also took his order and brought it outside to him. As well. I just see where there could have been just a little thought put in this just by the manager or supervisor at that time and would have prevented all this! So his only recourse is to sue! Not only for access and on the grounds of discrimination but hit them where it hurts and that is in the pocket book. I hope that 3 to 6 buck meal they did not sell him now cost them a million bucks . If this happen I bet they would change their policy and give training to all the staff! It is sad that we have to take this rout when a little common sense and caring for your fellow person would have went a long way! I really think he will have no problem winning this at all! JMO!

BTW: I normally a conservative that is in the middle that leans to the right on social issues but I have to lean a little more to the left on this!

Blind Bargains podcast #65 (the blind guy who was denied service) <http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.blindbargains.com/audio/bbq065.mp3>

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.blindbargains.com/audio/bbq065.mp3

Matt From Florida

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.