From: Gene
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] The Future of the Screen Reader Market

Thank you.  I don't recall just when, but I seem to recall an Openbook Update sooner than five years ago.  But those who follow Openbook and fS far more closely will comment, I hope..

I don't follow such programs as closely as I used to.  I consider there to be a question as to whether frequent updates of OCR programs mean much unless important new features are added.  While I've seen improvement in Openbook's OCR over time, I haven't seen anything dramatic and it is my impression that unless dealing with difficult material, you won't see much difference in a lot of recognized material.  I doubt OCR will improve much until really new techniques are incorporated such as neural net technology which will allow the program to learn on it's own as it scans.

It may be that what used to be FS doesn't upgrade Openbook as often as it might but I'm not convinced enough improvements would be introduced that it would matter much.
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 6:21 AM

Hi all,

Gene, as usual your posts are thought provoking and well written.

It is my personal opinion that FS hasn't upgraded OB in something like
five years.  Now, I do know that Kurzweil came out with some
improvements about a year or so back.   It appears, from my point of
View that FS is not taking too much notice of OB, that it is sort of
allowing it to sit on the shelf without too much promotion or notice
taken of it.  I may be wrong.

Thanks for explaining the differences between the OCR in Jaws and that
in OB.  I am always learning from this list.  Hopefully I'm becoming
less parochial.

Ann P.