Re: lenovo laptop

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Yes, thank you for providing the links supporting my suggestion. Here's the main ideas of the article:

"After Lenovo learned of this bug in April, it dawned on the company that its LSE was falling foul of Microsoft's security guidelines for using the powerful WPBT feature. Two months later, in June 2015, it pulled the whole thing: the LSE software is no longer included in new laptops.

Lenovo has also pulled the LSE from new desktop machines. Incredibly, Lenovo was shipping desktop PCs that feature the LSE in their firmware. These models phone home system data, but do not install any extra software, and do not suffer from the aforementioned privilege-escalation vulnerability. The PC maker's laptops definitely do, however.

Think-branded PCs did not include the LSE, we're told.

On Tuesday this week, Lenovo published a full list of affected desktop and notebook models. Desktop machines built between October 23, 2014 and April 10, 2015, with Windows 8 preinstalled, have the LSE inside them."

In my personal opinion, though these user lists are a great help to many who need them, often user lists are a source of misleading information. I don't think posters intentionally mislead others, its just that there are no licensed or certified professionals on these lists who actually work with computers other than their own, so listers often believe that if a problem exists on their computer, it will exist in everyone else's computer.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 9:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Lenovo laptop

The Superfish malware was only included on certain models. If your machine is running Windows 10, it is new enough that it is unlikely to be affected.
In either case, if it is a concern, you can download and run the Lenovo Superfish Removal Tool here.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/superfishrem.html
The other semi-recent issue with Lenovo laptops was the LSE vulnerability discussed in this article, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/
but again this problem should not exist in newer models.
----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 12:25 AM

Please do not act on any of these suggestions until you've actually turned om the Lenovo computer. This is especially true when dealing with the bios as it has become quite intricate in some computers nowadays. Also, when it comes to a laptop, don't simply reformat using Windows media, use the Lenovo installation recovery media as the laptop is very likely to have specialized configured software and hardware to extend the laptop's battery life and performance while under battery use. The ideas suggested to you are now out of date as these concerns are for the most part of no issue in very modern computers.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Austin Pinto
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:25 PM

as you get the laptop update the bios and do a clean install of windows 10 not from Lenovo recovery media but download an iso from microsoft.
this will solve the superfish rootkit problem.
but updating bios before a clean install is required

On 6/26/16, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hi,

Which model? I heard this is the case for IdeaPads and other consumer
product line.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:12 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] lenovo laptop

Oh No!!!

I just purchased a Lenovo laptop.

Now I recall there being several messages, on this list or a similar
list, where the lowly Lenovo was being dissed for privacy violations
or was it bloatware?

Yes, it is new with win 10 , 500 gig hard drive and 4 gig ram. Of
course I'll install the current version of n v d a.

It was 300 Canadian.

Thanks,

Monte

--
search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
@austin
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.