Re: Monitoring processor temperature and other information

Mohamed

I have found real temp to be the most accessible in my tests. Apparently someone on the NVDA list tried to contact speed fan about accessibility, but got no replies. I had tried it but didn't quite like it. I use RealTemp and find it to be very accessible with NVDA...though I believe it hasn't been updated since 2012.

On 09/12/15 10:56 PM, Jeremy wrote:
Hey all,
Subject says it pretty well, was curious on people's thoughts/ideas for tools to monitor things like your processor temperature and any other hardware information.
I was reading through some of the options on:
http://listoffreeware.com/best-free-cpu-temperature-monitor-software-windows/
and was wondering if anyone else was familiar with them.
These are some of the ones I've tried so far, and a few ramblings.

The one that seems to be no longer listed, Coretemp, I'd herd of before. I had originally tried to find a download that didn't contain the extra toolbar crap, or a portable version, but I didn't have much luck.
Also, I was a little hesitant to install it, even though you could apparently refuse the extra downloads by unchecking the options.

Speccy:
Nice and portable, it still requires administrator privileges to run, which makes sense. Seems to be the most accessible, but requires NVDA's object navigation to navigate through pretty much all of the interface. The ability to save the system's information to a file probably makes it quicker to read, but it's a huge file. lol
Would be wonderful if you could navigate the interface with tab and the arrow keys, but it doesn't work in such a way as to have NVDA read anything from it. Instead, all the information needs to be read using the flat review keys. It is possible to scroll up and down in the area containing the report though, so you can use the arrows, and then flat review to read the information as it scrolls onto the screen. Takes a little work to figure out how much should be scrolled, but it's doable. It's also necessary to use flat review and the mouse routing commands to click on the tabs, if you wish to change the type of report that's displayed.

HWMonitor:
Also has a portable version and from the start, seems to be more accessible than the previous one. I'm not quite sure what to think of this one, as I'm uncertain on how it's supposed to appear visually. I'm going to assume that it will display even more information if you run it with admin privileges, but it does not require it to run and display a decent amount of info. Using object navigation, NVDA shows two different areas of interest. The first, a treeview, seems to be the most accessible part of this application. You can use the arrows to move up and down through the different hardware, and the left and right arrows to collapse or expand them. When you move to the different hardware in the list, it does read a decent amount of information, but I can't say that it's all of it that's actually displayed.
Object navigation also shows that there's a list view here, which I'm guessing shows anything else that's not displayed in the treeview area. I've tried different ways to enter this list, but I can't read anything here. I'm guessing it holds other information, since the info you get if you choose to save it all to a file seems to be quite a bit more detailed.

Open Hardware Monitor:
Not much to say, wasn't able to really navigate it at all, even trying to use flat review, object navigation, etc. It does require admin to run and you can get to the menu bar to save the information to a file.

Will probably end up trying a few more, sooner or later, but if anyone has any other ideas, that would be awesome.
Take care.

.