Re: FS podcast

Flor Lynch

I actually know that there have been at least a fair amount of defections to NVDA from JAWS. How can you expect Jonathan Mosen to dispraise an FS/VFO product, as they are still paying him in fees? (Consultants always tell their customers what they think their customers want to know, which may (or may not) be what the customers actually want to know.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Levy
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2016 11:24 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] FS podcast

But now that the parent company of Freedom Scientific and AI Squared owns
both JAWS and Window Eyes and thus has a virtual monopoly in the commercial
screen reader market, what incentive do they have to offer deeply discounted
prices to everyone? They have lucrative contracts with government and blind
rehab agencies that guarantee them a steady income stream, so why should
they care whether or not you can afford their products? And they have
Jonathan Mosen in their back pocket to hawk their products. Of course, he
pays nothing for JAWS or Open Book or any other FS product unlike the rest
of us in exchange for promoting them. In all the years I have been
listening to FSCasts, he has never uttered a negative comment about any FS
product, even though he is now an independent contractor and no longer works
directly for them. You would think that there is so much discontent over
FS's unfair pricing policies that there would be mass defections to NVDA,
but of course, this hasn't happened because for all of its faults, JAWS is
still the best screen reader on the market.

Gerald