Re: internet explorer hacking alert

Keith S

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] internet explorer hacking alert

Yes I was thinking of that very same vulnerability.  I agree that when posting an announcement of such significance, providing the source is important.
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] internet explorer hacking alert

I'm not writing as a moderator, but as a list member in my comments on this message. 

This looks like a very old story I saw over a year ago.  Also, doing a google search for a phrase like Fireeye Internet Explorer department of Homeland Security shows nothing current in the results.  I shall therefore assume that this is a very old news story that is still circulating and that it is out of date, the problem certainly being addressed by updates a long time ago. 

The vulnerability discussed in this very old news story was patched by Microsoft for IE8 users in one last emergency patch issued by Microsoft for XP. 

I'm not saying that hackers are not coming up with new attacks on Internet Explorer.  Of course they are.  I'm saying that this attack should no longer be of concern if IE is kept currently updated by the user. 

Also, when people send articles, the source should be given. Providing a source, for example, saying something like, this article comes from PC World, is an important way to judge the article's probable credibility.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 12:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] internet explorer hacking alert

News and Alerts

Attention! A new exploit affecting Internet Explorer was recently discovered by the

Computer security firm FireEye. This exploit appears to be affecting Internet Explorer

6 through Internet Explorer 11. The Department of Homeland Security is suggesting

that customers use a different internet browser.

Microsoft has said in an advisory that the vulnerability could allow a hacker to

take complete control of an affected system, and then do things such as viewing,

changing, or deleting data; installing malicious programs; or creating accounts that

would give hackers full user rights.

Microsoft is currently working to patch this flaw. However, computers running Windows

XP will not receive this update and will still be vulnerable as Microsoft no longer

supports XP.

If you are concerned about this threat, Frontier is advising you to use an alternate

browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari until the patch has been

released. This is the best way to keep yourself safe. Windows XP users should be

advised to no longer use Internet Explorer and to look into upgrading their PC in

the near future.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.