Re: How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Matt

Well that is the problem. Is that most will evently die! As they will not have the funds! Why would you pay 1000 bucks or more for a screen reader when you can get one that is free and built in the system that will do all you want it to do! It will very much hurt JFW. It would more than likely hurt NVDA as people would not donate to it and they needs funds to survive. I can see some that is working and need the features JFW has buying it or getting a government agency to buy it for them but the ones that had to buy out of the pocket would I don't think buy it or keep putting out the SMA every two years. Then when Narrator got really robust and close to JFW then government agency might very well just say why should we buy one when it is built in to the system free! I just don't see this being good. Yes this is the way the business world works the strong survives and I think if narrator got good enough it would kill the other screen readers and they would go out of business and end up leaving us with just one screen reader and if it did not do what you wanted then you would be out of luck, The only one I see could survive a robust Narrator would be NVDA!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 1:43 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
As I stated in a previous message, I believe a full-blown screen
reader would give Microsoft an unfair advantage >
and might stifle 3rd-party developers.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Whereas apple is a closed platform with very few options, Windows is (relatively) open; and if there is a built in screen reader, developers will just work harder to make theirs a better option.
That's how business works. You work harder to make yours the best option possible, or you die. Be it a cafe, an audio editing solution, or a screen reader.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.