Re: How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Norman

Hi.

If a free screen reader will kill jaws, then why isn't it dead?

NVDA is out there, it's a good screen reader, and yet jaws survives.

I honestly don't see your side of this, if people like a screen reader enough, then they will get it regardless of the costs.

Also, as someone else commented, what is so bad about one dommenant screen reader if it does everything??? It is true that not every screen reader does everything perfectly, but on the other hand, if this is the case then there is a reason that not all screen readers will disappear.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The better ms makes narator, the happier i'll be.

JMT.

On 7/5/2016 1:55 PM, Matt wrote:
Well that is the problem. Is that most will evently die! As they will not have the funds! Why would you pay 1000 bucks or more for a screen reader when you can get one that is free and built in the system that will do all you want it to do! It will very much hurt JFW. It would more than likely hurt NVDA as people would not donate to it and they needs funds to survive. I can see some that is working and need the features JFW has buying it or getting a government agency to buy it for them but the ones that had to buy out of the pocket would I don't think buy it or keep putting out the SMA every two years. Then when Narrator got really robust and close to JFW then government agency might very well just say why should we buy one when it is built in to the system free! I just don't see this being good. Yes this is the way the business world works the strong survives and I think if narrator got good enough it would kill the other screen readers and they would go out of business and end up leaving us with just one screen reader and if it did not do what you wanted then you would be out of luck, The only one I see could survive a robust Narrator would be NVDA!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com