Re: How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Carlos

Not just a free screen reader, the best fully functional free screen reader which also just happens to be built-in to Windows is specifically the idea you were promoting. Powerful enough to sideline and outperform JAWS and NVDA I believe you said. What exactly about such a screen reader would allow for any kind of competition? You are contradicting yourself. Such a functional screen reader would not possibly allow JAWS or NVDA to survive. NVDA has not eliminated JAWS in part because it is not conveniently built-in to Windows, and in part because one is not so much more functional than the other. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Norman" <lists@thekingstech.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Hi.

If a free screen reader will kill jaws, then why isn't it dead?

NVDA is out there, it's a good screen reader, and yet jaws survives.

I honestly don't see your side of this, if people like a screen reader
enough, then they will get it regardless of the costs.

Also, as someone else commented, what is so bad about one dommenant
screen reader if it does everything??? It is true that not every screen
reader does everything perfectly, but on the other hand, if this is the
case then there is a reason that not all screen readers will disappear.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The better ms
makes narator, the happier i'll be.

JMT.

On 7/5/2016 1:55 PM, Matt wrote:
Well that is the problem. Is that most will evently die! As they will not have the funds! Why would you pay 1000 bucks or more for a screen reader when you can get one that is free and built in the system that will do all you want it to do! It will very much hurt JFW. It would more than likely hurt NVDA as people would not donate to it and they needs funds to survive. I can see some that is working and need the features JFW has buying it or getting a government agency to buy it for them but the ones that had to buy out of the pocket would I don't think buy it or keep putting out the SMA every two years. Then when Narrator got really robust and close to JFW then government agency might very well just say why should we buy one when it is built in to the system free! I just don't see this being good. Yes this is the way the business world works the strong survives and I think if narrator got good enough it would kill the other screen readers and they would go out of business and end up leaving us with just one screen reader and if it did not do what you wanted then you would be out of luck, The only one I see could survive a robust Narrator would be NVDA!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com