Re: How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Gene

No one said that a free screen-reader will kill JAWS per se.  JAWS does things in employment and academic settings that NVDA doesn't do.  NVDA does things at times that JAWS doesn't do and it is often more responsive.  You are misrepresenting the argument that has been made.  What has been said is that if Narrator got good enough, it would displace NVDA and it might cut into JAWS sales enough that JAWS wouldn't survive.  Are you familiar with how Microsoft became dominant for many years in the browser wars?  It bundled its own browser with Windows.  For years, most people just used what came with Windows.  That is a real life example.  Enough people used browsers and enough people were dissatisfied with Internet Explorer that other browsers survived with small amounts of market share.  Then, over time, people got smarter and, as Internet
Explorer fell behind, they started using browsers like Firefox and Chrome in much larger numgbers.   The screen-reader market is very small.  Screen--readers wouldn't be able to survive if Microsoft developed a really good screen-reader and bundled it with Windows.

From: Norman
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Hi.

If a free screen reader will kill jaws, then why isn't it dead?

NVDA is out there, it's a good screen reader, and yet jaws survives.

I honestly don't see your side of this, if people like a screen reader
enough, then they will get it regardless of the costs.

Also, as someone else commented, what is so bad about one dommenant
screen reader if it does everything??? It is true that not every screen
reader does everything perfectly, but on the other hand, if this is the
case then there is a reason that not all screen readers will disappear.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The better ms
makes narator, the happier i'll be.

JMT.