Re: Request Windows 10 search instructions

Carlos

The easiest way to search all locations in Windows 10 is via the search field in Explorer.  I don't know if this is still the case in Windows 10, but it is worth keeping in mind that in Windows 7 searching via the Start menu does not search all locations.  It only searches indexed locations and not all drives are configured as indexed locations by default.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Request Windows 10 search instructions

I haven't experimented much with the Windows 7 search feature to find files.  But the small amount I've done indicates to me that the actual search disk feature, as opposed to the general start menu search may be better at finding files.  I therefore, on the rare occasions when I search for files use the disk search feature.  But I don't know if it is the same in Windows 10 in terms of the interface, though I suspect functionality is the same or similar.  But my guess might be wrong about that.

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:20 AM

Hi all,

the search feature in Windows7 through Windows10 is what used to be
called in the Linux World, an incremental search.  Here's how it works.

If you are searching for a file called my_song_recording.mp3, you start
typing this into the search box.  As you type, the computer starts
searching for files starting with my and continues as you add more of
the file name.  the key here is not to press enter after you finish
tyuping.  I repeat, do not hit enter after typing.  If you do, the
incremental search will stop!

The * (star) is still and has always been your wild card, so you could
type  my_song*.mp3 and it would still find your file, providing you
don't stop the search by hitting 'enter'.

Wait a bit, and then arrow down to see the list of what the 'puter found.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring