All of the new features you'll find in the massive Windows 10 Anniversary Update
Please use the following link for more details, but I've copied and pasted
some of the content which will be most interesting to a screen reader user.
Also note the high customer satisfaction with Windows 10. It is also yet to
be seen how this update to Windows 10 will effect the screen reader user.
All of the new features you'll find in the massive Windows 10 Anniversary
Today there are more than 350 million active devices running Windows 10
which has received the highest level of customer satisfaction than any other
In the Windows 10 Anniversary Update there are hundreds of changes...
Windows 10 is the most secure version of Windows, and the Windows 10
Anniversary Update offers new features to help keep customers safe.
list of 2 items
• Windows Hello now works with compatible apps like DropBox, so you can sign
in fast and password-free. In future it will also work with websites too as
long as you’re using Microsoft Edge.
• Windows Defender, our free anti-malware service, now includes the option
to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of your PC; as well as
provide new notifications and summaries when scans are complete and threats
Cortana helps you be more productive with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
• Cortana is now above your lock screen so you can do common tasks such as
ask questions, play music from your PC or set a reminder before signing in.
Perfect for when you need something quickly.
• Cortana helps save and recall information, like the name of that wine
you photographed at dinner or your frequent flier miles. You can now add
photos or set reminders directly from Windows Apps like Microsoft Edge.
Cortana can also search within docs, not just in titles, to find what you’re
• Cortana can move easily between devices (Windows 10 devices, iPhone,
Android and Cyanogen (Not yet available on iPhone and Android in Australia,
coming soon) so you can get and respond to notifications– like when your
phone battery is low or when you’ve received a WhatsApp or text
message—right from your PC.
• Cortana works great on apps, helping you better use more than a thousand
apps and services.
In the Anniversary Update, Microsoft Edge helps you do more with increased
power efficiency, extension and accessibility.
list of 11 items
• A new accessibility architecture for Microsoft Edge supports modern web
standards, including HTML5, CSS3, and ARIA. With this update, page structure
and content are now exposed more clearly with assistive technology. Visual
presentation of web pages in high contrast mode is greatly improved to
provide additional visual context, while preserving text contrast. Also,
form entry when using keyboard navigation and screen readers improve in this
update making the browsing experience for people of all abilities better.
• Extensions have come to Microsoft Edge, letting users easily add new
functionality to what their browser can do. Find your favorite Microsoft
such as AdBlock, Adblock Plus, Pin it Button, Amazon Assistant, LastPass and
more, in the Windows Store.
• With your favorites bar enabled, you can right-click on the favorites bar
to have it show the favicons only, for a more efficient use of space.
right-click lets you add new folders for organization.
• Web Notifications in Microsoft Edge are fully integrated with the
notification platform and Action Center in Windows 10, providing a
with other apps across the system and easy controls over permissions and
• You can now choose to have your browsing data cleared every time you close
your Microsoft Edge browser. This automatic action includes the ability to
select which browsing elements are cleared.
• Microsoft Edge is the only browser to natively support biometrics with
supporting sites, coming soon.
• Microsoft Edge already offers 17-70% more battery life than the
competitor, and the Anniversary Update brings dozens of improvements to
informed from analyzing customer telemetry and experiments in our controlled
labs. These improvements are built into Microsoft Edge, so you don’t need
to change settings or turn on a power saving mode – every Microsoft Edge
user will receive these without a compromised experience.
• It’s easier than ever to keep your most-used sites and web apps available
at the top left of your browser window. Right-clicking in the tab lets you
pin the tab which shows just the site favicon.
• With an easy right-click of your back button, you can see the full history
of that tab – great for remembering where you were.
• Microsoft Edge’s Reading List is built into the browser, allowing users to
save items for offline viewing. Reading List is great for temporary content
you’d like to get back to, even when you don’t have an Internet connection.
• You can now copy any link into your clipboard, and right-click on the
address bar in Microsoft Edge and choose “Paste and go” from the context
Microsoft Edge pastes the URL into the address bar, and navigates to the
site. You can also copy words to your clipboard, and choose “Paste and
There are improvements to the Start menu for better efficiency and
• This was a top request from users and developers: make Live Tiles
chase-able so you go right to the content you see on the tile. For example,
if your news app shows a particular story, Windows passes this info to the
app so the app can display that story front and center when you click the
app’s Live Tile.
• With the expansion of the Recently Added apps list, you can see more of
the apps that you recently downloaded.
• The All Apps list is now elevated to the top level of Start menu for
quicker one-click access to your full list of apps.
• The icon for Action Center is now placed on the far right of the
taskbar. There’s also a badge over the icon that displays the number of
• There are now 14 Quick Action tiles (like VPN, Note, Tablet mode and Quiet
hours) in the Action Center which can be arranged in any order you want.
Easily add, remove and reposition them to reflect your priorities.
There are of course more features to come.