Re: New Protection Step For Your Social Security Account

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Victor,

From what I understand a Google Voice number can be used in place of a cell phone number.  Does anyone have steps for setting up a Google Voice number?  Also, I have a Gmail email address, so does that mean I have a Google account?  Apparently you need a Google account in order to set up a Google Voice number.  I've done some searches on how to set up a Google Voice number, but I'm not getting any steps on how to do so, or I'm just a dipshit, & I'm not clicking on the correct links!  The former is probably closer to the truth!  LOL  LOL
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
From: Victor
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Protection Step For Your Social Security Account

 Thanks for sharing this with us.  I don't yet have a My Social Security account.  It's getting to the point where we can't function in society without a cell phone.

Victor

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2016, at 12:14 PM, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Thought some would be interested in this message I received from the Social Security Administration.

New step to protect your privacy using my Social Security

my Social Security

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a my Social Security user.  This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.
When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number.  The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.
Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:
Step 1:  Enter your username and password.
Step 2:  Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).
The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account.
If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account.
If you are unable or choose not to use my Social Security, there are other ways you can contact us.  To learn more, please review the Frequently Asked Questions found here:

 https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/ArticleFolder/466/my-Social-Security#content