Re: Help with new install of WLM

James Bentley

Hi Gene,

Jeremy did a third Jaws Tandem and fixed WLM.  I wish I understood his steps but they are above my head.  He made WLM accessible by going to the same location that you referred me to earlier.  Apparently, WLM does not install ready for Jaws.  At least on some machines.  For what its worth, the column is not marked not available any more.  And, most of all, I have WLM reading every correctly.  Everything is just like it has always been.

Thanks for your responses.

James

Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 3:40 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Help with new install of WLM

I wonder why.  Did you have the program installed before the upgrade?  If so, reinstalling it might solve the problem.  If not, I'm not sure what you might try.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 11:52 PM

Gene, I’m sorry.  I misspoke.  The Colum button says that it is not available.

James

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 11:36 PM

Are you saying it ccan't be expanded? 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 11:24 PM

OK, the columns button is collapsed.  Installing J16 produces the same results.  The only way that I can see the columns is to open each email and check.  I’ll give VFO and MS accessibility desk a call Monday.

I don’t remember why I wasn’t interested in Thunderbird but, it might be time to reconsider after making a few calls Monday.

Gene, I appreciate you looking up this information.

James

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 8:20 PM

To get to the settings, in the program main window, execute the following command:
alt v, v, w.

You are now in a structure you can tab through.  there are two choices.  One is for working with columns.  I don't recall the exact wording but it's the only applicable item.  Press enter and look around.  I didn't look at it but I expect a dialog to open. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 8:12 PM

Hi Gene and list,

I also have the problem with not seeing text when I compose or reply to an email.  And, after looking around a bit, I have noticed that usually only the name shows up when I arrow through the email list.  However, occasionally, only the subject line shows up.  Also, Infrequently, the name and subject line both show up.  The date never shows up.  Reading the current line does not tell me the number of emails in the list or, the number of the email that I am on. 
As Carlos is fond of saying...sigh!

I will install the latest version of J16 after I take a tranquilizer, just in case that changes any thing. 

Gene, can you tell me where to go to check settings governing what fields are shown just in case?

By the way, I have noticed, in my opinion, most of the Win10 wave files sound like they are on tranquilizers. 
I may now understand why.

Thanks for everyone’s input,

James

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:40 PM

I haven't seen your problem discussed in relation to running Windows Live Mail in Windows 10.  I have no idea if there is some way to correct the problem but I don't think it will be by changing settings governing what fields are shown.  There is some problem I've seen discussed where, when people start composing or replying to a message, they have to leave the message window and return to it before they can see the text that is there or that they write.  I gather you can do this in any way that takes you out of and returns you to the Window.  But I would think the easiest would simply be to press alt once to leave the window and move into the menus, and then press alt again to return to the Window.  That is the only problem I've seen discussed until you raised yours and I don't know if this is a general problem or a problem you are having and a few others.  Windows Live Mail isn't supported in Windows 10 so even though you can use it, Microsoft made no effort to see that it worked properly in Windows 10.  I hope others will discuss whether they have this problem as well as provide information such as what screen-reader they are using.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:14 PM

Hi Gene,

The Name, date, and subject, have always been present running WLM Version 15 with Win7.

Now, with WLM16 running on Win10, its definitely messed up.  I hope I can fix this without needing to figure out how to revert back to WLM15, if it even works with Windows10.

Are you suggesting that there may be other known bugs with WLM16  with Windows10?

Thanks,

James

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 12:48 PM

All that should be shown by default.  I'm not saying that you can't have more things shown but if you arrow through the message list and let your screen-reader read everything when you arrow to a message in the list, you should hear the name, subject and date.  At least that's the case in lower versions of Windows. 
If you are saying that you used to hear such information in an earlier version of Windows, then I would be worried that this is another way in which Windows Live Mail is not compatible with Windows 10.  I can check later today if no one else has provided the information of where to find the settings.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 12:36 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Help with new install of WLM

Hi everyone,

I’m using Jaws 17 and a fresh install of WLM, Version 16 on Windows10.

I seem to have 99.99% of the fresh install of WLM setup.

But, where in the ribbons do I go to tell WLM to show Name, subject, date, etc. when, I am arrowing through a list of emails.

I appreciate any tips,

James

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.