The main thing with turning the computer off, is to make sure you've got out of the programs you were using, particularly those which might have unsaved work in them (like an open Word document or half written e-mail for instance).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Pamela Dominguez <geodom@...> wrote:
Hitting the power button isn't as bad a thing as it used to be, I'm told.
Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Melissa
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 12:35 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA and spelling errors

I wasn't doing anything particularly. My computer had locked up and I
got sick of waiting and hit the power button, yes I know that is a
no-no, the computer booted up and when it went to load NVDA it gave me
the corrupt configuration file error. As I said before I think I have
had this happen to me once a while ago, I can't even remember when
just that it was a while ago, so I'm guessing it was just one of those
things.

Melissa

You're welcome :)

Do you know if you did anything before the configuration became corrupt?

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Melissa <melissa.j.hammitt@...>
wrote:

Man ... thank you so much for reminding me about this. I totally
forgot about checking document formatting and it makes perfect sense
since I had to resetthe screen layout function too.
Thank you thank you

This is the second time, in a few years, that NVDA all of the sudden
decided that my configuration settings were corrupted and I had to
start all over again.
sheesh

> Hi Melissa,
>
> Just double checking since you mentioned spell check as well.  "Use
> spelling functionality if supported" is different to spell check /
> announcing spelling errors.  Here's the text from the user guide on
> "Use
> spelling functionality if supported:
>
> "
> Use spelling functionality if supported
>
> Some words consist of only one character, but the pronunciation is
> different depending on whether the character is being spoken as an
> individual character (such as when spelling) or a word. For example, in
> English, "a" is both a letter and a word and is pronounced differently
> in
> each case. This option allows the synthesizer to differentiate between
> these two cases if the synthesizer supports this. Most synthesizers do
> support it.
>
> This option should generally be enabled. However, some Microsoft Speech
API

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/