Re: TREADMILL WITH TACTILE BUTTONS

Walter Ramage

Hi. All the powered treadmills I've encountered (except for those in a gym) had arms on either side of the running deck and you can hold them to keep you in position. I've had no trouble in this regard. However there is one thing to keep in mind and that is the length of the running deck. If you have a long stride or wish to run on the machine then it is important to get a treadmill with a long running deck otherwise you will find problems with staying on. Also, all treadmills should have an emergency facility that stops the machine in the case of a mishap. self powered treadmills are a different animal though and it would be wise to be sure there are grip handles on the machine for your own protection. Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Blaster Nil8
Sent: 12 August 2016 18:04
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] TREADMILL WITH TACTILE BUTTONS

I read an article a while back that compared treadmills for blind
runners. The control panel was a big concern, However, Staying
centered on the actual treadmill was the biggest problem. It's hard to
run holding on to a bar. Some people tied pieces of rope along the
machine so that they could get a feel for where they were on the
treadmill itself so they didn't fall off of it.
I'm not sure what has been done to make treadmills safe for blind
users, but I'd ask about that as well as the actual controls.

On 8/12/16, Walter Ramage <wpr@...> wrote:
Hi. It all depends on how much you wish to spend and where you are
located.
I have a reebok z9 treadmill. The programmes are not accessible but on the
arms on the lift is the incline up and down buttons and each press gives a
beep. On the right is the speed buttons, up and down and again, each press
gives a beep. With the up and down speed buttons each press increases your
speed by .1 mph, so 5.2mph, 5.3mph, 5.4mph etc. On the screen there are
buttons for all the functions but they are only slightly raised but it
would
be difficult to tell which is which as there is so many so I got help to
place a little ball of bluetack immediately above the 3.7mph button, the
3.2
mph and a third but I can't remember the speed. Also there is start and
stop buttons. When you press the start button you get a five second
countdown before the belt starts moving and there are 5 one second beeps
leading up to the start of the belt. The deck can fold up to save floor
space when not in use. It has nearly a 3hp motor which gives it lots of
power. It also has a 3.5mm socket to plug in a mp3 or other media player
and it will play through the treadmills integral speakers but I never use
them as I'm not impressed with the sound quality. This treadmill is not
cheap as it was nearly £1000 but I got it here in the UK from Argos which
was selling them at half price. It is a great treadmill and I'm thinking
of
moving up to the reebok z10 which is also going for less than half price.
Walter.