Re: What's the difference between Imap and pop3?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi James,

Below are a couple of explanations:
From: Jason White
With IMAP, the messages are stored on the server. Changes you make, e.g.,
moving and deleting messages, marking messages as read or replied to, etc.,
take place on the server as well. (A local copy may be kept on your disk, but
the copy on the server is primary.)

The main advantage is that you can access the same mail folders from different
devices, and, since everything is kept up to date on the server, whenever you
access your mail over IMAP, you are effectively reading and modifying a single
copy that is stored remotely.

On the other hand, POP 3 downloads your mail to the local computer. It doesn't
maintain the mail folders on the server and update them as IMAP does.

POP 3 is very much obsolete technology at this point.

Since everything is handled by your mail client software, there will be no
difference so far as JAWS or any other screen reader is concerned; but you'll
have a better experience with IMAP, especially if you have multiple
computers/devices with which you read mail.

The best strategy in that case is to store the message on a server that has
plenty of capacity, and access them using IMAP from all of your devices.
Jason

From: Gene
Outlook Express doesn't support message rules using IMAP.  Neither does Windows Live Mail and, presumably, neither does Windows Mail.  I don't know if Thunderbird supports message rules with IMAP.  Microsoft Outlook does.

Gene

    Difference Between POP3 and IMAP E-mail Accounts

IMAP and POP3 are methods used by your computer to access e-mail messages from a remote server. 1&1 e-mail accounts are compatible with both IMAP and POP3.
1&1 suggests using IMAP over POP3. Read on to find out why.

IMAP

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an advanced protocol for receiving e-mail. It is a method of accessing e-mail messages which are stored on a
mail server.

The main advantage of IMAP over POP3 is the ability to keep the original e-mail stored on the mail server and the ability to access the same account from
multiple locations. Unlike POP3 where e-mail is downloaded to the computer or device checking for mail and completely removed from the mail server, IMAP
simply downloads a copy of the e-mail. This is much more convenient as the e-mail account can be set up on multiple computers and devices using IMAP and
the original e-mail will always remain on the mail server.

In cases where a mobile phone or personal computer was configured to be the primary means of checking e-mail and malfunctions, is lost, stolen, or totally
inoperable, the e-mails will not be lost. Set up the account using IMAP on another computer, device or simply check the 1&1 Webmail at

 and find that all e-mails are still intact!

POP3

POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol version 3. When an e-mail is sent to your address, it is stored on the mail server until it is downloaded via your
e-mail client (Outlook, Netscape mail, your mobile, etc.) using POP3. After the e-mail has been downloaded to your client, it is removed from the server
altogether.

Simply, this means if one were to set up an e-mail account on a mobile phone as POP3, the phone would download all e-mails, removing them from the server.
If one were to then check the webmail or home computer for the same e-mail account, there would be no mails viewable as they have already been download
by the mobile phone.

For additional information, you may want to reference:
list of 3 items
Create an E-mail Account in Your 1&1 Package
Help Center articles regarding Outlook
Help Center articles regarding E-mail Software
list end

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!