Re: What's the difference between Imap and pop3?

James Bentley

OK, I have decided that I like the idea that all clients will be synchronized  when using imap.  But, I have a few very important questions.  I wonder if using imap will allow me to download all messages to any client and keep them there forever if I choose.  In other words, I do not want emails only available to me when I am on line.  I want to download emails and keep them forever if I want.  Will imap allow me to have the emails on all of my computers without deleting them after a certain period of time?  And, I do understand that if I make changes to one client, the same changes happen to all.  But, I was just under the impression that users of imap do not get to keep emails on their machines forever.

Thanks for any advice,

James Bentley

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] What's the difference between Imap and pop3?

You have to tell GMail to enable pop3.  You can either wait for more answers from people who have more detailed information or you can do a Google search for something like pop3 GMail.  You will find lots of results. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:00 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] What's the difference between Imap and pop3?

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail.  I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using.   However, I don’t seem to have that option.  So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.