Re: restoring my computer from image back up questions

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

Yes... they are such tools... your red lines, Carlos?

On 8/25/2016 8:00 PM, Jeremy wrote:
I was a little thrown off by the password thing, thought she meant the
Windows7 installation's password, so was going to suggest that I thought
the PE had a tool to reset that. Glad I didn't write and make myself
look silly. :)

As far as the OEM stuff goes though, at least with 7, aren't there tools
that keep a list of keys and certificates for the different OEM
providers, dell, Lenovo, etc? I can't recall the name of the one I used
to do my clean install, but that's how I got my version to finally
register. There's a tool that once you get the version of Windows that's
licensed for your machine installed, home, pro, whatever, you run the
tool and it pulls down the certs for that model and registers everything
for you. Once I had mine registered, that's when I made my image.

Reason I had to resort to using this, I wasn't able to use the key that
I got using keyfinder and ms had told me that that key was already n
use. It was then that I found out about the OEM machines having keys
that were used on registration for large numbers of the same machine.
Not sure if it will help, but if I can dig up the tool, I'll post a link
for it.
Take care.

On 8/25/2016 9:39 PM, Carlos wrote:
1. For future reference, I wouldn't recommend password protecting
images. Some people have the inclination to password protect
everything they can for security reasons, but in many cases it really
isn't necessary and can cause problems such as these. Short of
speaking to the developer who might or might not help, there is no way
around a lost or forgotten password.

2. The error most likely means that what you have is an OEM product
key. Microsoft might or might not be willing to help with this, but
most likely you will have to resort to paying Dell for a recovery disc
assuming they still make them for your particular model. The only
other way you could legally get a clean installation of Windows 7
would be to purchase an OEM copy on Amazon which are a bit over $100.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa"
<melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com>