Re: restoring my computer from image back up questions

Carlos

Yes I vaguely remember going through that procedure a couple of times myself, but honestly it is just easier to use the key on the COA key sticker. Assuming the sticker is still legible.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy" <icu8it2@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions

I was a little thrown off by the password thing, thought she meant the Windows7 installation's password, so was going to suggest that I thought the PE had a tool to reset that. Glad I didn't write and make myself look silly. :)

As far as the OEM stuff goes though, at least with 7, aren't there tools that keep a list of keys and certificates for the different OEM providers, dell, Lenovo, etc? I can't recall the name of the one I used to do my clean install, but that's how I got my version to finally register. There's a tool that once you get the version of Windows that's licensed for your machine installed, home, pro, whatever, you run the tool and it pulls down the certs for that model and registers everything for you. Once I had mine registered, that's when I made my image.

Reason I had to resort to using this, I wasn't able to use the key that I got using keyfinder and ms had told me that that key was already n use. It was then that I found out about the OEM machines having keys that were used on registration for large numbers of the same machine.
Not sure if it will help, but if I can dig up the tool, I'll post a link for it.
Take care.

On 8/25/2016 9:39 PM, Carlos wrote:
1. For future reference, I wouldn't recommend password protecting images. Some people have the inclination to password protect everything they can for security reasons, but in many cases it really isn't necessary and can cause problems such as these. Short of speaking to the developer who might or might not help, there is no way around a lost or forgotten password.

2. The error most likely means that what you have is an OEM product key. Microsoft might or might not be willing to help with this, but most likely you will have to resort to paying Dell for a recovery disc assuming they still make them for your particular model. The only other way you could legally get a clean installation of Windows 7 would be to purchase an OEM copy on Amazon which are a bit over $100.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa" <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com>