Slipstream Status

Steve Matzura

It took a few times to get it right, but get it right I seem to have
done. However, there were more than a few bumpy-lumpies along the way.

1. Do not apply KB3059317 using Edmond's article's method. The
distributed Installation and System Management tool, DISM, will hang
if you do.

2. Applying the Internet Explorer 11 set of updates did not yield a
running system with IE11. I don't know why.

3. The Windows Update utility was still the old one and had to be
downloaded from Microsoft. Luckily, it was the first update that came
through, and of course, required a system reboot. I'm assuming, as I
yet have no evidence to support or deny it, that updates will continue
and the local update cache will be revised to reflect updates that
were applied during the rollup I did in order to prepare the system
for installation.

4. I used the downloadable Windows 7 64-bit ISO downloaded from
Microsoft to slipstream the updates. This is really a black-box thing
to me, as I found some crazy stuff going on:

4.1. When I installed from the slipstreamed files, the Windows
installer did not ask me what kind of installation I wanted--Home
Basic, Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate, like Bryan's does.

4.2. When I slipstreamed the updates, I had to specify which of the
four Windows editions to patch on the DISM command line. I really
wonder what difference it makes which one you choose, except maybe
some updates don't apply to lower editions, like Basic or Premium, so
they are ignored. This is just a guess.

4.3. And here's the real kicker: The CD key belonging to the person
whom I've been trying to help restore his machine to functionality did
not work! His Windows is currently in 30-day mode. Looks like a call
to the Microsoft Disability Help Line will be on tomorrow's breakfast
menu.

5. Windows Update Installed Updates only shows three updates as having
been installed. I think I know the reason for this. Windows keeps a
journal or cache of information about what updates have been
installed, and if that cache is empty, it's going to think no updates
have been installed. That's fine, but I fervently hope the next time
that machine checks for updates, it will figure out that a whole bunch
of updates--probably about two hundred of them--can't be applied
because they already were, but that machine just doesn't know they
were. Typical Microsoft--the left hand doesn't know what the right
hand is doing on a machine! :-)

Comments and more information most welcome.