Re: a newer computer & discussing specs

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I can't disagree that using a USB type sound card may offer the ability to have working sound in 10, especially if driver support may be less than friendly for her computer, but I'm not sure I'd say that it's a fix.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding what you're suggesting, I cringe at the thought that I'd have to solely rely on an external sound card, just to have working sound.

Using an external sound card for the PE isn't all that bad, but for my installation that I use every day, I'd find that to be quite frustrating, me thinks.

Forgive if you meant something different, that's just how I read things. hehe

On 8/26/2016 10:50 PM, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io wrote:
That issue can be fixable.
Do you have a USB headset? Hope you know what it is... LOL!

On 8/26/2016 8:36 PM, Melissa wrote:
Yes and so far, I hope and hope, that is my only issue. I have not
found any resolution for the error I'm getting and the Dell site tells
me that they don't offer windows 10 support for my model.

On 8/26/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Will take a look at this. So you have a Dell OptiPlex 755?
Here I can imagine what's your issue but let's make sure.

On 8/26/2016 8:09 PM, Melissa wrote:
The main issue that I have is that there is no updated sound drivers
and I keep getting a dialog box on restart/boot up that tells me that
the sound is not meant for this soft ware version. I've looked
everywhere, it seems, for a fix for this, but I haven't found anything
about it.
When I go to look at hardware and devices it says that my soundcard is
working fine though.

On 8/26/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:
It's not bad at all. It can run what you want. I'd try to move to
Windows 10, unless there's a really issue.
If you have problem we can try to help. There are users who just do not
like Windows 10 but you should be fine.

On 8/26/2016 7:48 PM, Melissa wrote:
Thanks for your opinion. It sounds weird, but I kinda like the name
lenovo, maybe it is a girl thing, lol.
To compare, my present computer:
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
64 kilobyte
I think it is 4 gb of ram

So I'm thinking almost anything will be faster, hah.

On 8/26/16, Jeremy <icu8it2@...> wrote:
For the price, I'd say it doesn't sound bad at all and I've really
grown
to like Lenovo, having had mine for around 4 or so years now. I'd
definitely stick with a machine that either comes with 7 or that can
be
downgraded, without to much trouble, but if that ends up being to
difficult, having to change over to 10 really isn't super bad.

My machine's processor is a tad bit quicker, so I can't really speak
what type of decrease you may see, but if you just want it for word
processing and tinkering about on the interwebs, I'd guess it'd work
pretty well. Just as reference, my machine is the x220, upgraded to an
SSD, which I purchased later down the road and installed myself.
I've also really liked the Dell Latitude machines, but it's been a
long
time since I had a dell, so I can't speak to them these days.
Just a few thoughts. :)
Take care.

On 8/26/2016 9:05 PM, Melissa wrote:
Oh ... gee ... that would make sense huh? lol

I want a desktop, I would prefer windows 7 and I know that I most
likely won't find a new computer with that on it. I was thinking
buying used again off of amazon since I've had good experience with
doing that. I don't mind windows 10, but my experience is with a
computer that doesn't play well with windows 10 so a more updated
computer might be lots better.
One computer I was looking @ was:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E0FYVXM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=XFT3UT4G71GO&coliid=I2LVROXSQJE4WB&psc=1

however what sounds like basically the same thing is 4 or 5 dollars
less
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VTQ5U5Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=XFT3UT4G71GO&coliid=I1NITMZZKYXTF8

As for price I am thinking $400 or lower if possible. But, not so low
as to get a computer that would only last me for a year or so. Those
two are the same brand and are "mini" desktops and honestly they
don't
sound bad to me, but I've been out of the loop regarding computer
stuff since I lost my site and now could care less if the computer is
powerful enough to run photoshop or the games I used to play.
When I search I would like a few more specs to look for as in hard
drive types, ram, and processor type/speed. I think that is it, but
I'm sure I'm missing something.

On 8/26/16, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Melissa,

Just so these good folks know, what price range, Windows 7 or 10,
laptop
or

desktop? This will give people a better idea as to what you want &
with
what search criteria to use.
Take care.
Mike