From: Carlos
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2016 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] XP Extended Updating REG File

Hi Mike,

Gene is correct.  The problem here is the specific method being described to export the registry.  A .reg file when imported only adds to or replaces existing entries in the registry.  It does not remove anything so entries which were added before this type of pseudo backup is created will still exist after the .reg file is imported.  A true registry backup must completely replace everything which is why it is best to used third-party software such as Regbak.