Re: Googling it

Carlos

Also, I don't know what you have already tried to solve the problem, but if you are running JAWS, you can disable page refresh altogether.  Press Insert V, arrow down to
"Page Refresh"
and press the Spacebar a couple of times to toggle it off.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Googling it

I'm not sure why you are having the problems you are describing.  At times, a page will refresh but I suspect you can stop this in firefox most easily.  However, if you are using Firefox. one way to stop page refreshes is to use a script blocker.  I believe that will stop all page refreshes.  that's probably the easiest way to stop all refreshes, regardless of screen-reader being used.  It also is safer browsing with scripts disabled.  My recollection, from the very little I looked at the no script add on is that it is fast and easy to allow scripts to run or to set it to block all scripts.  Many sites require scripts to do what you want but just for reading information, a lot of sites can be used with scripts blocked.  And they may load much more quickly.  The New York Times loads much more quickly when I have scripts blocked, regardless of browser and screen-reader being used.  You can tailor settings in a lot of ways using the no script add on with Firefox, but I'm discussing the ways that require the least learning even if unblocking everything doesn't give you as much protection as tailoring settings.  I never have any pages refresh when I don't allow scripts to run. 

Gene. 
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Googling it

I hope I don’t get flack for changing the subject, but I want to specifically comment on googling it rather than on the cblue tooth buds.

I love to google things. But lately, I am more reluctant to do so because of things such as pages refreshing while I am in the middle of reading something, or finding only the first paragraph, then having to click to a next page and find my place again.

I am truly grateful for the opportunities technology offers me as a blind person, but sometimes the updates and new features drive me a little crazy.

I admit that it is unfortunate, but I do prefer to have the article in the email for assured ease of access.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:33 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Courage, space, and vision: why Apple removed the headphone jack in iPhone 7

I try to discourage blatantly harsh or rude quote unquote "Google it" comments.  There is nothing wrong with occasionally gently encouraging members to try finding their own answers, but it shouldn't be anyone's default response and not all information can be easily found with a Google search.

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 6:20 PM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Courage, space, and vision: why Apple removed the headphone jack in iPhone 7

Both.

Someone could do something for me, I could observe to see how it’s done and then do it myself.

The latter, some hesitate to ask, especially on a mailing list when the commonality is “google it”.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:53 PM

Do people learn by doing things for them or by encouraging them to do things for themselves and answering questions if they need help. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:23 PM

Hi, I know that I am not a moderator. However, that comment was Uncalled for.

Actually, it is helpful to have the information with the link. There have been new people coming to this group lately. We have no idea how much they know, or if anyone out there is a beginner, whether they have access to internet training, ETC. So, thank you for placing the information with the link. It is Very Much Appreciated.

Blessings and All the Very Best, Pat

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:38 PM

Here you go lazy ass!  LOL  LOL 

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/09/07/why-no-headphone-jack-iphone-7/

Courage, space, and vision: why Apple removed the headphone jack in iPhone 7

By Cody Lee, Sep 7, 2016 

iPhone 7 lighrtning connectorwh

On Wednesday, Apple confirmed that the rumors are true: there is no headphone jack in the iPhone 7. Apple is including a new pair of EarPods in the box with the handset, as well as an adapter for connecting the headphones to the legacy 3.5mm port, and it also announced new wireless earbuds called AirPods.

Apple SVP Phil Schiller explains the move: “The reason to move on: courage. The courage to move on and do something new that betters all of us.” Schiller says removing headphone jack will free up space, which is growing ever-limited with new components, and Apple’s ultimate vision for mobile audio is “wireless.”
iPhone 7 adaptor in box

“Up till now no one has taken on the challenge of fixing the things that are difficult to do on those wireless experiences and make them so we all want to do them. Our team at Apple has worked so hard to create something new that delivers on the opportunity to create the wireless experience.”

So there you have it. For all of you folks out there wondering how Apple would justify removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7: they say it’s because the port was a poor use of space and ultimately they see all headphones becoming wireless. Coincidentally, they also announced multiple new pairs of Bluetooth headphones today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on the move, sound off below!

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:55 PM

You should paste the article or every time you send a link Chris, you should
paste the article below. I'm to lazy to click the link.

Haha, I suppose I could've clicked the link by now based on the length of
this email.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Christopher Hallsworth
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:06 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Courage, space, and vision: why Apple removed the
headphone jack in iPhone 7

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/09/07/why-no-headphone-jack-iphone-7/

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7752 / Virus Database: 4649/12949 - Release Date: 09/05/16

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.