To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:21 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Networking hardware, routers. Differences in how you access their network cards

Hey all,
For those in the know, I've a little curiosity about different configurations in hardware, such as that found in some of the cheaper routers, compared to other, more configurable types, mikrotik, cisco, etc.

It would seem that on most of the hardware that I've had an opportunity to play with, such as netgear and Linksys devices, if you install things like OpenWRT, you still don't have the ability to manage each network port individually. It appears that the manufactures add most of these ports to one peace of hardware, so you can only manage them as a set,.

This seems to be different in the Mikrotik devices, and from what I read, in the higher end cisco ones too, so how does one get this more configurable hardware for use in things like DDWRT, OpenWRT, gargoyle, etc.
When one is looking for hardware that has their network cards separated, what would be the technical term for referring to this.
Hope that my question isn't completely bonkers. :)
Thanks.
Tc.