Re: web page weirdness with windows 7 and the latest IE

Troy Burnham

Hi Carlos,

Well I set windows to never check for updates temporarily and then checked for updates manually as that was the only way that I could find the offending update and actually have the option to hide it, but after doing all of that I went back and set windows to download updates but ask before installing and a few seconds later I got a notification that updates were available and when I looked the update I supposedly hid was back.  I'll try doing what I did again but this is getting really frustrating.

Troy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] web page weirdness with windows 7 and the latest IE

The updates themselves won't be displayed in the system tray, only the icon which indicates that new updates are available.  You have to left click that icon to open the
"Windows Update"
dialog, then you can select the important updates link as I described.  If you mean that the new updates icon itself was not displayed in the system tray, then I'm not sure.
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:02 PM

Carlos,

But last night when I got notified that there were updates to install I looked in my system tray and they weren't there, I ended up just having to hit my left mouse button to open up the install dialogue.

Incidentally the update I was having trouble with must've gotten reinstalled either when I shut down last night or when I booted up this morning because I'm back to getting the download dialogue again when I try to open a web page from my favorites.  At least I know how to get rid of it now, but once I uninstall it this time I hope it's gone for good.

Troy

Troy

Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:00 AM

When the tray icon shows that you have new updates, left click it to open the
"Windows Update"
dialog, select the important updates link, find the update in the list, press the Spacebar to uncheck it, press the Applications key to activate the context menu, and select
"Hide Update"
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:25 AM

It almost reinstalled on me last night after I rebooted, how do I hide the update?  I have my updates set to ask before downloading or installing because before that bad update was installed I had them set to download and then ask, but that obviously didn't work so I changed it last night.

Troy

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:38 PM

Note that if you have updates set to automatic, the update will eventually be reinstalled.  The only way to avoid this is to disable automatic updates and then manually hide it the next time it is offered.  I'm sure Microsoft will get around to fixing this issue in a future IE update.
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:22 PM

You used the wrong search option.  I was not referring to the JAWS "Find" feature.  After selecting
"View installed updates"
in Programs and Features and waiting a few seconds for the list to populate, tab about three times and you will find a search box.  This is where you should type the KB number.
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:13 PM

Hi Carlos,

I have IE 11, but following your instructions below I found the first IE 11 update and it had the same KB number you gave me earlier.  I guess I just need to go back where I originally was and go update by update until I find it, when I was there the first time I hit jaws key shift f to open the search and typed the number in without the KB but it wasn't found and that's why I thought it hadn't been installed.

If you know of an easier way for me to find what I'm looking for please let me know, but I won't be trying again until tomorrow morning.

Troy

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:37 PM

It may be a different KB number for IE 9.

You can try the following:

1. Open Windows Updates by searching for it on the
"Start"
menu or by typing
wuapp
from the
"Run"
dialog followed by Enter.

2. Select
"View update history"

3. Look for the latest Internet Explorer update in the list and take note of the KB number.  The update will probably be named something like
"Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9"

4. Return to Programs and Features and use the KB number to search for and remove the update as I previously described.

If this works for you, please post the KB number so I can take note of it as well.
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:38 PM

That update doesn't appear to be installed.

Troy

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:47 PM

No need to apologize.  Kimsan's message was only posted a few minutes before yours.

To remove an update, go to Programs and Features in Control Panel, select
"View installed updates",
wait a few seconds for the list to populate, and then type
KB3185319
into the search field.  After a couple of seconds, you can tab to the list of results and press Enter to uninstall the update assuming it is found.
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:30 PM

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for my ignorance but how do I get to the list of updates to delete that one?

And sorry I didn't see the other thread, It's been a couple of days since I checked the messages for this list and I didn't check before posting.

Troy

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:18 PM

Based on this thread,
the guilty culprit is probably
KB3185319
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:07 PM

Interesting that Kimsan just reported a similar problem with Windows 10 and IE 11.  My guess about the cause of this problem may have been incorrect.  A Windows update may actually be the cause.
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] web page weirdness with windows 7 and the latest IE

Hi All,

Some updates for windows 7 were downloaded earlier today and I let them install, but now every time I go to open a web page a dialogue opens up that says download security dialogue.  If I tab to the open button the correct page opens, but does anybody have any idea why this is happening especially since I'm not downloading anything?

Actually, I'd have to play around with this further but it may be just the sites in my favorites that are acting like this because just before starting this note I opened my run dialogue and opened up a site from there so I could see exactly what was happening and that page opened normally.

Thanks.

Troy

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.