Re: Flip Phone

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Not sure if it covers everything, but here's a really good link that explains quite a bit, for those interested.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

jeremy wrote:

It's more so the range of frequencies or supported networks that the device in question has access to that will determine weather or not you can take the device from carrier to carrier. There are carriers, such as sprint that tend to be locked down more, basically do to them using a network that hardly anyone else uses. It's carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile that use the more widely used GSM type network, which also seems to be the case in other parts of the world too.

If I remember correctly, these days, a lot of the device providers are adding in the hardware to make them work on both sprint/verizon and AT&T supported networks, such as adding a GSM slot, even on non-GSM supported providers, but this wasn't always the case. These days, it's also necessary to make sure the device in question is going to have the right sized GSM slot, if that's what's being used and it needs to be unlocked as well.

It's been quite some time since I refreshed myself on the networks and how it all works, so please forgive for the lack of detail and where I may be slightly incorrect. :)
It should be enough to get a basic grasp on how it works though.
Take care.

Marie wrote:
I believe all flip phones are tied to one specific carrier and not portable to other services.
*Sent:* Friday, September 23, 2016 1:12 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Flip Phone

My carrier is Verizon and I did put my hands on both the Kyocera and the SE. I do not know if it can be unlocked or if it is carried by other companies.

Nancy

On 9/22/2016 1:49 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
Is that phone locked? Or are you able to use that with any carrier? Pam.
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:46 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* [TechTalk] Flip Phone

Ann,

In considering replacement phones, if I had gone with another flip, I was considering the following, which I will let you have the pleasure of investigating, if you so desire. In handling this phone, it seemed very sturdy and had buttons, very nice, noticeable buttons. :)

DuraXV+ by Kyocera
<http://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/kyocera-duraxv-plus/?mlcid=TG%7Carticle%7Cclick-through%7Carticle-body%7C275>

DuraXV+ by Kyocera

The DuraXV+ by Kyocera is a tough, dependable basic phone. Designed to meet military standards for durability, this rugged flip phone can handle water, dust, drops, extreme temps and generally harsh environments. You can easily view the screen in sunlight, use the keypad with gloves on and with Smart Sonic Receiver, you can hear calls clearly when things around you get noisy.

Regards,

Nancy

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.