Re: Windows7 and performing a clean install

David Ferrin <df7782@...>

Yes I am quite aware that your images are far more up to date than the version from Brian, I just wanted to give the lady as many options as possible so she could choose which worked best for her.

Since I do not have a system that boots in UEFI mode that information was unknown to me until now, thank you. If memory serves your images were updated just a few months ago.

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 1:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows7 and performing a clean install

My WinPE images are similar and while they do not include the Windows installation files, they have been updated much more recently.  Also, my Win10PE images are capable of booting on systems configured to boot in UEFI mode unlike a PE based on Windows 7 which includes Brian's images and my own Win7PE images.  Brian's images also cause an error when installing 64 bit editions of Windows.  The error can be bypassed by briefly shutting down NVDA, but it was fixed in newer versions of the project so my images do not have this problem.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 1:23 PM

Brian Smart created a Windows pre-installation environment for 7 a few years ago. I personally have used it several times successfully.

The address escapes my memory off hand and it is an over 4 GB download as many of these kinds of things are but it is something that has been in my tool box so to speak for quite some time. I have even used image for windows while being in there. The advantage in this instance would be that Brian's’ environment contains everything you need to install windows 7 without sited help.

My guess that creating such an animal for windows 10 would end up being so big that it would not fit on a standard DVD, possibly a blue ray although this is a little out of my area.
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:50 PM

The unattended script is added to the root of the installation DVD or flash drive, then when you boot with it Windows will be automatically installed assuming everything is done correctly and is working as expected.  With WinPE, you have to use it to boot and then manually run the Windows installation from your DVD or flash drive.  You do have to use Rufus to write WinPE to a flash drive, but the images are self-extracting and it is already included.
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:36 PM

Hi Carlos, what are the differences between the unattended installation and the Win PE environment? I’m downloading the Win PE software. Will I need to use rufus to create a bootable USB drive?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: September 25, 2016 12:19 PM

There are really only a couple of ways to install Windows without sighted assistance and all of them may require at least some sighted assistance initially if you have no experience implementing them.

1. Unattended installation.  You can download my example unattended script with instructions here.

2. A bootable environment like WinPE.  You can boot into one of my WinPE images to initiate a Windows installation with speech.  The images and documentation can be downloaded below from the same place as the example unattended script.

3. There was a third-party application which supposedly allowed you to install Windows with speech.  I never tested the software myself, but I heard several complaints that it was buggy.  I can't remember the name of the software at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 11:29 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Windows7 and performing a clean install

Hi listers, I’m back with some more Windows7 questions. This pertains to doing a clean install of windows7.

First, is anyone aware of any software that will provide speech during the install? I realize that with earlier versions, you needed sighted help if you were going to reinstall your operating system.

Second, when doing a clean install, how long willit take to complete the installation? I’m asking so that I can make sure I have time if I’m going to ask for sighted assistance with this install.

As a side note, geek squad charges $250 for this type of service so if I can do this myself with some sighted help and then have Dell assist me with driver updates, I would rather do that than spend that kind of cash.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

David Ferrin
Life is what happens after you have already made other plans.

David Ferrin
df7782@...

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.