From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: September-25-16 6:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Upgrading to an SSD

That's your individual machine and there could be lots of different reasons for that.  I really doubt that it takes most people, even allowing the time for their home pages to load, more than three or four or five seconds to open their browser.

I use blank pages for my home page and to test this properly, I'd have to change my home page and experiment.  but I'm very skeptical that the time you are giving is at all representative for someone with a reasonably fast computer, and a reasonably fast Internet connection.

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 7:07 PM

hi gene,

It most definitely takes longer to open browsers than 2-3 seconds. On an ssd, a browser is up and running in 1-3  seconds. Whereas, the same operation on a mechanical harddrive takes between 10-30 seconds. People  regularly open and close their browsers, so it can be argued that the lost time can add up to be significant. Also, buying an ssd for an older pc isn't a gamble as you can remove the drive from the pc and install it into your newer pc.

on 9/26/2016 2:25 AM, Gene wrote:

If someone runs Microsoft word and spends twenty minutes writing and editing a document and if it takes a few seconds longer to open a document, how are those seconds going to matter in twenty minutes?  You might as well worry about every time you waste two or three seconds to yawn or cough.  I find such general advice to be inapplicable.  I can open

Winamp in perhaps a second.  How is it going to benefit me if I can speed that up to one third or one fourth or less of a second.  And many people leave programs they use routinely opened so the opening is often not done for a while or for a good while after the first opening.

Also, the older the computer, the more you are gambling when you spend a significant amount of money on it.  As I said in my earlier message as an example, if someone does things that take considerably more time to do by their nature using a mechanical drive, that would make a better case for upgrading if you care about time, and it takes longer, perhaps considerably longer to do something with a mechanical drive.  But I consider it not to be by any means a proper generalization to advise that people in general should upgrade their hard drive.

Most of my computer time is spent writing, reading, and listening to audio.  I may boot my computer once a week or less. I don't see how a faster hard drive would make a significant difference.  If someone wants to upgrade their drive just because they want to or because they want to have the latest thing or out of curiosity, that's fine but it is outside of what I am discussing.

gene