loading browser; was up to ssd

Monte Single

I have a ssd drive  on this machine here at home. It boots in about 10 seconds. Browssers load in a second or 2.

At work, my machine is a basic dell desktop. Win 7 same as my home machine.

At work, I am on a network with several thousand machines. At work, I have ie,  firefox and chrome on my machine. I do not notice much difference in how long a browser takes to load on either machine.

I use m s outlook at home and at work; it takes much longer for outlook  to open at work than at home.

I think the aspect of no moving parts and less heat  is better reason for ssd drive than just speed.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: September-25-16 6:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Upgrading to an SSD

That's your individual machine and there could be lots of different reasons for that.  I really doubt that it takes most people, even allowing the time for their home pages to load, more than three or four or five seconds to open their browser. 

I use blank pages for my home page and to test this properly, I'd have to change my home page and experiment.  but I'm very skeptical that the time you are giving is at all representative for someone with a reasonably fast computer, and a reasonably fast Internet connection.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 7:07 PM

hi gene,

It most definitely takes longer to open browsers than 2-3 seconds. On an ssd, a browser is up and running in 1-3  seconds. Whereas, the same operation on a mechanical harddrive takes between 10-30 seconds. People  regularly open and close their browsers, so it can be argued that the lost time can add up to be significant. Also, buying an ssd for an older pc isn't a gamble as you can remove the drive from the pc and install it into your newer pc. 

on 9/26/2016 2:25 AM, Gene wrote:

If someone runs Microsoft word and spends twenty minutes writing and editing a document and if it takes a few seconds longer to open a document, how are those seconds going to matter in twenty minutes?  You might as well worry about every time you waste two or three seconds to yawn or cough.  I find such general advice to be inapplicable.  I can open

Winamp in perhaps a second.  How is it going to benefit me if I can speed that up to one third or one fourth or less of a second.  And many people leave programs they use routinely opened so the opening is often not done for a while or for a good while after the first opening.  

Also, the older the computer, the more you are gambling when you spend a significant amount of money on it.  As I said in my earlier message as an example, if someone does things that take considerably more time to do by their nature using a mechanical drive, that would make a better case for upgrading if you care about time, and it takes longer, perhaps considerably longer to do something with a mechanical drive.  But I consider it not to be by any means a proper generalization to advise that people in general should upgrade their hard drive. 

Most of my computer time is spent writing, reading, and listening to audio.  I may boot my computer once a week or less. I don't see how a faster hard drive would make a significant difference.  If someone wants to upgrade their drive just because they want to or because they want to have the latest thing or out of curiosity, that's fine but it is outside of what I am discussing.   

gene

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 5:41 PM

hi gene,

No mechanical harddrive's speed can match that of even the cheapest ssd. The performance gains when upgrading to an ssd are dramatic. So dramatic, that I would recommend anyone who has the money to upgrade to an ssd. I got a samsung 850 evo last february,  and all I regreted was not getting it earlier. I wouldn't use a system with a primary mechanical drive even if someone paid me to do it. 

On 9/25/2016 8:18 PM, Gene wrote:

Do you use your computer in ways that upgrading would save enough time to matter?  After all, 120 dollars is 120 dollars.  My laptop opens programs quickly with a mechanical hard drive.  I would think boot up would be significantly faster but I avoid that inefficiency by using sleep, from which I can resume in two or three seconds.  Of course, there would be times when it wouldn't make sense to use sleep but for many users, using Windows 7, I would think they would be able to avoid booting up most of the time.  If you do things like a lot of file conversions, for example, I would think you would save time for such operations.  But for a lot of users, I doubt they would save enough time to amount to something if they do things like use Sleep or equivalent most of the time.  I'm not going to worry about whether a browser opens in one half second or two or three seconds. 

Gene

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 11:54 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Upgrading to an SSD

Hello list,

I’ve been thinking of upgrading my existing Dell Vostro 17.3 laptop’s 320GB drive to an SSD. The computer runs fine. I like the keyboard layout. Especially since there’s a tactile gap between the numpad and and rest of the keyboard. Making the full keyboard layout comfortable and easy to distinguish. It’s running Win 7 and I figure for $120, I can probably get a couple more years out of it and boost performance since I’m over all happy with the computer anyway.

SSD’s have come down significantly in price and I’ve currently got my eye on a Crucial MX300 525GB SSD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EDIL2YF795OZ&coliid=I30Y5PS33MBY9Q&psc=1

My question is, this as well as some other SSD manufacturers offer migration programs to go along with the drive. Has anyone used any of these programs and are they at all reasonably accessible or should I stick to more traditional backup/imaging programs that have been discussed on these lists?

matters.

I haven’t attempted to swap out drives, but have come across enough step by step articles to get a reasonable idea of how it’s done.

Any input on included migration programs or over all experience with performance on upgrading to an SSD and whether there is a noticeable improvement would be appreciated. I’m running the latest JFW if that matters at all.

Thanks,

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.