Re: How to reply privately

Gene

Are you referring to a laptop layout command when you discuss the NVDA shift down arrow command?  I'm not sure what that command would be on the desktop layout.  I suspect the desktop command is insert numpad down arrow.

Gene

From: Jeremy
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How to reply privately

It's pretty much the same in tb, just a few things of note to keep in mind, at least with NVDA. NVDA has always had some kind of strange issue with keeping focus within those areas inside the message headers, so, using the normal commands to move about through the field to copy them may not work or give you response as expected. Rather, I find it easier to use NVDA's ability to copy the text from flat review and then the NVDA command to place that in the clipboard. For me, when I tab to the field that contains the sender's address, it has it displayed as a menu, so I have to first enter that object using the NVDA+shift down arrow command. From here. I can set the start of where I wish to copy with NVDA+f9, use flat review to move to the end of the address and NVDA+f10 to copy it to the clipboard.
Hope this helps, and tc.
Blessings.
On 8/31/2015 7:58 AM, Gene wrote:
Considering how many times over the years, I see blind people on different lists not know how to respond privately to someone, here are instructions that will work on some, perhaps many, e-mail programs.

Be on the message in the message list.
Open the message properties with alt enter, that is, hold alt and press enter.
Issue the command control tab.
Try down arrowing.  If you can't down arrow, tab once.  Now try down arrowing again.  If you have to tab once, do that every time you follow this procedure before down arrowing.
Now start down arrowing through the message headers.
There will be a lot of information but you will find a line that says from and then gives the address of the sender.
Move to the start of the address.
Then use the command shift end to select it.
Copy it to the clipboard.
Close properties with escape.
Then start a new message and paste the address into the clipboard.

Some e-mail lists won't display the original sender's address in the properties or anywhere else but many lists do.

It would be a good idea if people would send instructions about how to reply privately with different e-mail programs.  I know the method I gave works in Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail and, presumably Windows Mail.  I don't know if it works in Word or Thunderbird.