Re: external drive slow to respond when I try to access it

Troy Burnham

Carlos,

That sounds like it would be above my abilities anyway, grin.  I'll just deal with it, after all I've been putting up with it since I started using the drive some time last year.

Troy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] external drive slow to respond when I try to access it

Actually, some drives do allow you to modify certain settings like sleep mode in the firmware with a utility, but it tends to be model specific.
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:15 PM

No, that's a feature in there by design.
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:40 PM

Is there a way to disable that feature?  I'm guessing no since there's no on/off switch on the drive, but I turn the computer off at night so if I could do something to have the drive shut down when the computer shuts down then it wouldn't get overheated.

Troy

Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:07 PM

After a period of not being used, the drive goes into something we might call stand by.  I don't know what term or terms are actually used.  When you do something to first access it, there will be a pause while the drive spins up and does whatever else it does to come out of standby.. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:57 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] external drive slow to respond when I try to access it

Hi All,

I have a 4 tb external USB drive that's nowhere near full, but whenever I try to access it from my laptop it's either slow to respond and let me into the drive originally when I first click on it from windows explorer, or when it's not slow in first accessing it it's slow when I try to open a folder.

I've had this drive for a year or more and somewhere I read that it'll work with USB 3.0, and this laptop is 4 or 5 years old now so I thought that might be the problem because I thought I probably don't have USB 3.0 ports, but my computer tech looked the last time I had him do something and he said that I do have USB 3.0.  I also have the drive plugged directly into the laptop using a USB cord, so can anybody think of any reason why the drive is so slow to respond?  I haven't timed it but it takes at least 10 seconds to respond, and btw when the room is quiet I can hear a sound like the drive is coming out of hibernation or something when I try to access it.

Oh I'm running windows 7 home here.

Troy

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7797 / Virus Database: 4656/13112 - Release Date: 09/29/16

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.