Re: Outdated but cool tech

David Ferrin <df7782@...>

I never heard of such an animal, interesting to say the least. Is this something that was out prior to the net book craze of a few years ago. I recall everybody being told that they weren’t very powerful and not to expect a lot out of them but for the most part that I heard people ignored the warning and tried to overload them with software and complained when they didn’t work properly.

This sounds like something that might be good for note taking by a college student to carry around between classes. Use it in good health.

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 7:09 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Outdated but cool tech

Today I wasted $205 on a UMPC AKA Ultra Mobile PC.  I've raved about these before, but for those who don't already know or haven't heard my rant, picture a 6 inch laptop with a keyboard, display, and running Windows 7.  It's not the most powerful machine and they stopped making them about 6 or 7 years ago, but I've always wanted a PC with a keyboard small enough to fit in your pocket.  It's too bad UMPCs just never caught on.  If they had, not only would modern versions be much more powerful, but I suspect they would have been quite popular with the blind community.  Most of them are smaller than tablets and usually have a touch screen as well.  The combination of a keyboard and a touch screen in something slightly smaller than a tablet with modern hardware could have been the ultimate in mobile computing for both the blind and sighted.  The specs are below for anyone who cares.

Fujitsu LifeBook U820 Mini-Notebook Specs

Part Number: FPCM21621  

Processor / Chipset

CPU
Intel Atom Z530 / 1.6 GHz

Cache
L2 - 512 KB

Data Bus Speed
533 MHz

Cache Memory

Type
L2 cache

Installed Size
512 KB

RAM

Memory Speed
533 MHz

Configuration Features
1 x 1 GB

Technology
DDR2 SDRAM

Installed Size
1 GB

Display

Resolution
1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Widescreen Display
Yes

Monitor Features
Crystal View

Diagonal Size (metric)
14.2 cm

Display Resolution Abbreviation
WXGA

Hard Drive

Spindle Speed
4200 rpm

Type
HDD

Capacity
60 GB

Audio & Video

Total Available Graphics Memory
224 MB

Integrated Webcam
Yes

Resolution (MP)
1.3 Megapixel

Sound
Microphone

Audio Codec
Realtek ALC269

Input

Type
keyboard,                                                                              touch-screen

Communications

Wireless Protocol
802.11a/b/g/n (draft),                                                                              Bluetooth 2.1

Wireless Controller
Atheros XSPAN

Wired Protocol
10/100 Ethernet

GPS

Battery

Cells
4-cell

Capacity
5800 mAh

Card Reader

Type
card reader

Supported Flash Memory
CompactFlash,                                                                              SD Memory Card

AC Adapter

Input
AC 120/230 V

Connections & Expansion

Interfaces
USB 2.0
Microphone input
Headphone/microphone combo jack
Dock

David Ferrin
Life is what happens after you have already made other plans.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.