Re: Disabling the screen on windows 10?

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Carter,
Yes. Light vision is not damaged. 0 brightness, just like on apple, will allow the sighted to read the screen. Won't be as obvious, but won't stop them. Bright enough to see it in the dark no problem. I can't confirm how the text looks like, though.

Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, October 24, 2016 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Disabling the screen on windows 10?

It also looks like this same thing occurs on some windows 8 computers. Someone actually told me that turning the brightness to 0% will actually do the trick, however I doubt it. Can anyone confirm this?
On Oct 23, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

The Fn key combination is manufacturer specific so it might or might not work.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rajmund" <brajmund2000@gmail.com <mailto:brajmund2000@gmail.com>>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:39 AM

Hi,
I tried this command, windows-p on 2 win10 devices, worked on both. This also worked on both, a dell and HP, try FN-f4. Should do the same. As I say, though, for me, both works, so not sure whether if windows-p fails, fn-f4 will, too, or not.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 23 Oct 2016, at 3:26 pm, Carter Temm <crtbraille@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, I'll copy a message I received on another mailing list, as I think it's something that one of you may have run into or be able to help with. Anyway, here it is.

Hello,
In earlier versions of windows (8.1, 8, 7, etc) you could run "displayswitch /external" from cmd or the run dialog, or press windows+p and select "second screen only" to turn off the monitor while still being able to use the machine with a screen reader.
This was useful on laptops, where battery life and privacy are concerns..
However, this feature seems to be unavailable in Windows 10 on a number of machines. For these systems, what is the best way to do this? Basically something like the "screen curtain" on Apple devices.

It also looks like this same thing occurs on some windows 8 computers. Someone actually told me that turning the brightness to 0% will actually do the trick, however I doubt it. Can anyone confirm this?
On Oct 23, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

The Fn key combination is manufacturer specific so it might or might not work.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rajmund" <brajmund2000@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:39 AM

Hi,
I tried this command, windows-p on 2 win10 devices, worked on both. This also worked on both, a dell and HP, try FN-f4. Should do the same. As I say, though, for me, both works, so not sure whether if windows-p fails, fn-f4 will, too, or not.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 23 Oct 2016, at 3:26 pm, Carter Temm <crtbraille@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, I'll copy a message I received on another mailing list, as I think it's something that one of you may have run into or be able to help with. Anyway, here it is.

Hello,
In earlier versions of windows (8.1, 8, 7, etc) you could run "displayswitch /external" from cmd or the run dialog, or press windows+p and select "second screen only" to turn off the monitor while still being able to use the machine with a screen reader..
This was useful on laptops, where battery life and privacy are concerns.
However, this feature seems to be unavailable in Windows 10 on a number of machines. For these systems, what is the best way to do this? Basically something like the "screen curtain" on Apple devices.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.