Re: Router Recommendations

Nimer Jaber

I have a Linksys wrt1900 router here. It works very well. Signal penetrates excellent. The speeds are wonderful. I have a Western Digital My Cloud storage device attached and that works well as well.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016, 17:20 Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
I've got a Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800.  The interface - a web page - is accessible, although it is frustrating that they don't use headings or landmarks, but aside from that, you can get around the controls with a screen reader.

The coverage is good - we've got the router in the middle of the house and it drops down to one bar if I go right to one corner of our 640 sqm / 7000 ft sq block (I think I did that calculation close enough).

The biggest annoyance with the router, is that it comes with two USB ports so you can plug in an external drive to backup to - yet as soon as you do, the network drops out, particularly the 2.4GHz network.  I've tried talking to Netgear and they're not overly interested in trying to resolve it.

Otherwise, it's a huge improvement on the Netgear D6300 AC1600 we had previously which wouldn't reach around the house.  Even on our ADSL2+ internet which usually averages around 12Mbps, we can stream netflix on one tv (sometimes two, but that often causes buffering) and have a handful of other devices just doing light work (eg our mobiles can keep monitoring e-mail etc in the background). - That's more a limitation of our slow internet, but the router does a good job of sharing what we have around.  We're just about to upgrade to the NBN here in Australia and we've signed up for a 100Mbps plan so it will be interesting to see (firstly whether we get that speed, and also) how the router handles a better connection.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Joe <jsoro620@...> wrote:
Hi, I may be replacing my router here soon. What recommendations do people
have in terms of great coverage and UI accessibility? Thanks in
advance.--Joe

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer