Re: updates won't install on windows 7 laptop

John Gregory <john.gm.gregory@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: 14 November 2016 19:39
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] updates won't install on windows 7 laptop

That link doesn't work it wants me to login

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gregory
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 9:42 AM

Dennis,

Here is a Dropbox link to the Windows Service Pack 1. Download it and then follow the steps below.

https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe?_subject_uid=46678532&w=AAD2Ktl5OYp-g6ZullFoHPaALJqNPqMagrvsB9RQcbpTCg

If the link above does not work, copy and paste it into Internet Explorer and it should work.

To Install Updates

1. The Windows 7 Service Pack file is called:

Windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

This file should be installed first.

2. The April 2014 Servicing Stack Update is called:

AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb3020369-x64_5393066469758e619f21731fc31ff2d109595445.msu

This file should be installed following the SP1 installation and a reboot should be made prior to installing the following file.

3. The Convenience Roll-up file (all updates to May 2016) is called:

windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

This is the final file to be installed. Do a reboot following the installation.

HTH

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: 14 November 2016 12:24

Could you possibly please put the 64 bit files somewhere where I can grab them? Like send space dropbox or something similar?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gregory
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 7:22 AM

I just clicked on the link in your message and went directly to the download page with the 'select language' and 'download' link, so not sure what is happening with your system or speech for you not to locate the download. I am using JAWS 14 and IE 11 at present on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system.

Sent: 14 November 2016 11:25

This is the page I went to.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 6:15 AM

Thanks to Carlos for responding to your original query, unfortunately I am on a different timeline being in the UK, so have only just received the message. However, to clarify further:

On the Microsoft page that opens from the link

1. Scroll down (or press the 'h' key) until you reach "Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)"; 2. Select your language from the dropdown box (it defaults to English); 3. Click on the 'Download' link just below the language selection box; 4. On the next screen scroll down the table which contains all variants of the file until you get to "Windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe" 903.2MB - or "Windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe" 537.8MB - (depending on which system you have) and click on the checkbox to select it; 5. Scroll down to 'Download Summary' and check you have the correct file; 6. Click the 'Next' button; 7. If you have 'pop-ups' disabled, a notifications will pop up asking you to 'allow once', press Alt + N to go to the notification bar and press 'allow once'. The download will then become available and you can either 'Run', Save' or 'Cancel' the download.

HTH

John.

Sent: 14 November 2016 10:18

This is under the first link right?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 5:07 AM

Once you click on the
"Download"
link, it expands to display a list of files. Each file has an associated checkbox. Check the box for the file you want to download and then select the "Next"
link to initiate the download. The files I mentioned are the last two in the list.
----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 4:55 AM

I don't see that file under service pack one.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 4:43 AM

Yes, generally you should download the file labeled windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe for 64 bit installations and windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe for 32 bit installations.
----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 3:10 AM

Hi, on the service pack one there several files for 64 bit what one do you want to get the entire 64 bit service pack one?

Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2016 9:41 AM

Hi Joanne,

Not sure if you have things working yet, but thought I'd help with manual updates rather than you using Windows Update in order to get your system reasonably up-to-date.

Note: it is important that the files mentioned below are installed in the correct order, so follow the instructions exactly.

Firstly, if you have not got SP1 installed, go to the following link and download the SP1 file for Windows 7. If SP1 is installed on your system, then skip this step and go to the 'April 2015 Servicing Stack' section.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Now, determine which version of Windows you have, 32bit or 64bit. If you don't know, Press the Windows key and tab once, press the down arrow key 4 times until you get to 'Computer'. Press the 'Applications' key (this is located in the middle of the 3 keys to the right of the spacebar) and locate 'Properties', press the Enter key and the properties dialog will open. The information you want will be on this page and it should say something like 'System type: 64-bit operating system or 32-bit operating system' (it will also tell you if SP1 is installed). OK, now you know what type of system is installed, go to the following links to download the April 2015 Servicing Stack Update appropriate for your system, i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit. Note:
32-bit is known as X86 and 64-bit as X64, so choose the correct download link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

OK, now you have 2 of the 3 files required, you now need to go to the following link to download the 'convenience rollup' appropriate for your system. Head to:

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

You will find a direct download link for the X86 (32-bit) or X64 (64-bit) 'Convenience Rollup' on this webpage. Click on the appropriate link and download the file.

Once you have downloaded all 3 files (that is, of course, if you needed to install SP1 first), follow the below instructions to update your system (If you do not require SP1 to be installed, then skip steps 1 and 2):

1. Locate the downloaded SP1 update file for your system and highlight it.
Press the 'Applications' key and choose 'Run as Administrator' followed by the Enter key. Follow the prompts on screen (this update could take quite a while, so be patient);

2. Reboot your computer if the SP1 installation did not already do this;

3. Locate the downloaded 'April 2015 Servicing Stack' file and highlight it.
Press the 'Applications' key and choose 'Run as Administrator' followed by the Enter key. Follow any instruction given on screen, from memory I think it asks if you want to install it, answer 'yes';

4. Reboot your computer to ensure that the update is applied correctly;

5. Locate the downloaded 'Convenience Rollup' file and highlight it. Press the 'Applications' key and choose 'Run as Administrator' followed by the Enter key. Again, answer 'yes' to the question 'do you want to install this ...'.

OK, finally, reboot the computer and then check for updates on Windows Update. Hopefully there won't be too many downloads, certainly it will not be in the hundreds!

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of joanne
Sent: 12 November 2016 17:26

It just says "windows updates could not be installed." And some websites are telling me I need to update my browser, which I can't do because of the updates not installing. My troubleshooter says it's checking for updates online, but it doesn't say where in the checking it is. When I googled it it said something about making sure service pack for windows 7 is the most recent, but I'm not sure how to find this info. I suspect drivers might need updating too and wish I knew when it was refurbished since that might tell me if some things are way outdated or not.

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 1:10 PM

From what I have found out is, they have reconfigured the windows updater so that it works like windows ten, which means it checks every single update, so that if you have a lot of updates, it can make you think that it is stuck, because it takes so long. I don’t know what that error message is, though. Pam.

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 11:46 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] updates won't install on windows 7 laptop

I am using a refurbished windows 7 laptop and am getting the "cannot install windows updates error". I am running the troubleshooter but don't know if it's normal for it to take a long time to find a solution or if it's stuck.
It's been running awhile and I use Jaws, and routing the cursors I'm not given a percentage that the troubleshooter might be at. Should I just keep this running or do you know of a fix to get the updates? It is a windows 7 computer but I don't know what service pack it has and if updating this would make a difference.

Thanks.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.