Re: Open book 9.0 Question Please.

Janet Gross

Gene,

No I am not wanting to scan as a text file.  You say openbook can save and scan images, can you tell me how openbook will save as a image? I don’t see that option in openbook 9.0.    

I’m not for sure what format social security award certificates are in either. 

Janet

Tomorrow's Another Day, Another Way, and If Tomorrow Never Comes, Problem Solved!  

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Open book 9.0 Question Please.

But if you scan it as a text document, it won't be a copy of the document.  I don't know what they will accept but a recognized copy of a document, instead of an image, is not an actual copy of the document.  You may want to verify what is accepted.  Openbook can scan images and save images but it sounds as though you intend to scan the document and have it recognized as text. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:18 PM

Gene,

I have to scan my social security award certificate to apply for a grant. They want it in a PDF format because I have to upload it electronically. 

Janet

Tomorrow's Another Day, Another Way, and If Tomorrow Never Comes, Problem Solved!  

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:03 PM

Is this for legal reasons or other uses where a facsimile is needed?  If so, scanning the document will not satisfy the requirement.  You will have to scan images of the pages and then save the images in some cumulative way.  If PDF is necessary, you will need to use some other program.  But if other formats such as image files can be used, you can save the pages as images and then save them in a zip or rar or some compressed format like these. 

I don't have the knowledge to discuss the matter further.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:37 PM

Hi Mike,

I followed all the instructions until I got to Default File Format, do you know if open book gives the option of save in PDF format? I need to save a letter in a PDF format.    

Thank you so much. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:06 PM

Hi Janet,

Try the following:

If you want your save files from Openbook to go to your Documents / My Documents folder do the following:
1. First we will need the file path to your Documents / My Documents folder from your C Drive so, do this.  Press enter on Computer from  your desktop.  Or press, Windows key + E, to open, Computer, your list of drives.

2. Press the letter, U, to go to your Users folder, & press enter.  Find your name folder, & press enter.  Now find either Documents or My documents, with the folder highlighted press, shift + applications key, to open the context menu, arrow to, copy as path, & press enter to copy the file path to the clipboard.  Now Alt + F4 to close.

3. Now open Openbook 9.  With Openbook open press, Alt + G, to open your settings options list, now press the letter, G, to open, General Settings.

4. Tab to, Default File Format, arrow up or down to select the file format you want to save your documents in.

5. Tab 1 time to, Default File Location, Press your backspace key to remove what's there, press, control + C, to paste your file path to your My documents folder right here.  The file path should look something like below:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents  or, C:\Users\YourName\Documents

I have both My Documents & Documents because I'm not sure what your default Documents / My Documents folder name is.

6. Tab to apply, press the spacebar,Tab to okay, press the spacebar to save your changes & close General Settings.  Now you need to save these new settings
as your default settings.  So press, Alt + G again, & you should be on, Save The Settings so press enter to open.  Tab a couple of times & make sure that,
All Settings, is checked.  Now tab 1 time to, Save, press enter.  You will hear something like, file default already exists, would you like to overwrite
it?, press the letter, Y, for yes.  Okay you are done.  Whenever you save a document from Openbook it should be saved in your My Documents folder in the
format of your choice.  Press, Alt + F, for the file menu, arrow up to, exit, press enter to close Openbook.

HTH

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:47 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Open book 9.0 Question Please.

Hi Everyone,
Can someone please give me step by step instructions how to set Open book
9.0 so I can save a scanned letter? I would like to save anything I might
scan to my document folder.    
I am running windows 7, JAWS 17. 
Thank you all in advance. 
Janet

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.