Re: talking tv sets, a different idea

Gene

If you want to receive over air signals, this is a good option.  I haven't followed accessibility of televisions for years but this radio allows the user to scan completely independently when getting the local list of stations and their frequencies into the radio. I also find the strength indicator to be valuable.  there are certain difficult stations to receive where this feature can greatly improve reception.  And even on easier stations to receive, it may help since different stations are received better with different antenna orientations.

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 8:21 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] talking tv sets, a different idea

Hello,

It is certainly true that voice guidance in TV sets is helpful, but there is another option.

There is a radio especially designed to guide blind people in locating and listening to TV on-the-air programs. This DTV radio is made by Oehm Electronics and costs $185. It is menu or command driven. One neat feature is the ability to tell the user how strong a signal is. This is useful when orienting the antenna. If the received signal falls below a critical level, the user will know that the reception of that station will be marginal at best.

This radio does not read what's on the air program information.

It seems to me to be a viable alternative to more expensive TV solutions.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY