Re: Problem Renaming Files

Carlos

No, it does not have to be checked.  I was just pointing out that if it is checked, which ever folder is selected in the other panel will be the default path displayed when you press F6 to open the "move" dialog.  In other words, you can use the other panel to browse for the destination folder before opening the dialog if you don't want to bother having to type it, but in either case you can choose to just type in what ever path you want to use.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Problem Renaming Files

I don’t know if that box is checked or not but I’ll see. Should it be? I left everything pretty much at the default settings.

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:52 PM

I don't know if this will work, but the 7-Zip File Manager also has it's own built-in "move" option.  Pres F6 to access the "move" dialog while the files are selected, then you can type in a destination.  If you have the
"2 Panels"
item checked in the
"View"
menu, then by default the destination will be the folder selected in the second panel.
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:45 PM

Hi Carlos,

I was able to delete it as you said, but I could not rename. It didn’t like any name I gave it, meaning that I couldn’t move it where I wished. The only thing I could do was delete the file.

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:26 PM

Find the 7-Zip group under "All Programs" in your "Start" menu, run the 7-Zip File Manager, use it to browse for the files you want to delete, and then delete them using the standard Delete or Shift Delete key combinations.
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:19 PM

I don’t understand. I unzipped it with 7Zip; is this something different? I press the applications key and no choices for renaming, deleting or anything comes up in Windows. How would I tell this to delete it?

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:37 PM

One workaround is to use the 7-Zip File Manager
which will allow you to delete files in particularly long source paths.
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:32 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Problem Renaming Files

Yesterday I received some files from a friend. When trying to paste the files to a new location, I got the following error:
Source Path Too Long
The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try
moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to
shorter name(s) before attempting this operation.
15 - Chronic With A K Feat. Leigh Stephens - We G...
This happens when I try to delete as well. I’m using Windows Seven, 64-bit. I’d like to rename this or get it off my hard drive. Any solutions? Please help. I’ve had this happen with other files too. Sometimes I can delete them and sometimes I can’t. Once I was able to rename with F2 like normal, but that doesn’t work anymore. Thanks bunches for any help.

Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52
Skype, Monnirose52
Facebook, Monica Rose Jones
Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52
Skype, Monnirose52
Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52
Skype, Monnirose52
Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52
Skype, Monnirose52

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.