Re: Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required) #article

Angelo Sonnesso

Well there will probably be some crashes, but probably far less than we have today.

We are already starting to see autonomous tractor trailers on the road.

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 4:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

Well, all I can say is; good luck when they crash, or run over a person!  Pam.

Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 10:20 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

the reason Google doesn't give users the option to take over is that they believe that, over time, people will lose their driving skills and, I would imagine that they anticipate a lot of people won't try to learn to drive in the future.  Also, many companies are anticipating using truly driverless vehicles in the future.  They aren't going to want to pay for someone to sit there and do nothing almost all the time waiting for the possible emergency.  The whole point is to eliminate people, with their salaries, and other related possible expenses.  And do you think that people are going to follow the road, ready to intervene when the whole purpose is to eliminate the need of a driver and leave them free to do other things?  A passenger may wish to sleep, to read, to play video games, or who knows what else.  They aren't going to be paying enough attention to intervene ina reliable or timely manner much or most of the time.  This technology will be widely adopted, assuming it is, by commercial interests long before private users widely do so. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 9:10 AM

I agree with that.  There has to be a way to take over if necessary.  That’s a lot of trust to put in a machine, giving yourself no way to override it.  More trust than I would be willing to put.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:41 PM

LOL as supportive as I am of this technology, I don't think I really like the idea of one without a steering wheel or pedals.  I believe such vehicles should always have the ability to manually take control.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:32 PM

Well yes I think that the more liberal (blue ) states and then the mix (purple ) states will come on board first. I think most of the conservative states (red ) states will be the later states to come on board. But while this is all nice I also think this will be in the more heavy populated area that you see them and then they will at some point spread on out.

Now this being said it will I think still be a long time before I think a blind person will be allowed to have a driver licensing to drive one of these cars. The nice thing about it no steering wheel means no one can drive it. So with that the ones with no steering wheel I think we will come closer to being able to have one and ride in it by our self.  I think it will be different for those that have a steering wheel.

The one that is completely and totally automatic with no steering wheel I see no reason to deny us.

But the thing is this is for this state . So it might be legal for Michigan it will not be legal for other states . so then you will not be able to drive across state line. This is good start but till it becomes a national law to have and drive these in all states it would be a burden for some.

Now like me more than likely I would never leave my state so it would be fine. But I think Florida is going to be on the later end of this. As they are a very red state.  But maybe not they might get on board as a safety issue. I just hope I not too dam old when it comes a national thing to be able to own and have a total automatic car that you can drive anywhere in the USA. I would be happy to have it like just my state legal to buy own and use one in my state. Since it would be total automatic with no steering wheel or peddles then I cannot see them denying us over our seeing partners as neither one would have any more control then the other. JST!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

oh wow. this article did bring up something I never thought about: the misbehaving passengers. what will people do when there is no driver?

has anyone ever heard a price on the low end no driver cars?

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:37 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7924 / Virus Database: 4728/13577 - Release Date: 12/11/16

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7924 / Virus Database: 4728/13580 - Release Date: 12/12/16

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.