Re: Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required) #article

Carolyn Arnold

I use it when I want to check temperature, answer a call, whenever. Yes, for the most part, I do use the feature phone. I stil use Siri some for Google, when not at a computer. Also I use the timer and reminder features.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

You are using one now? I remember you had gotten one and let your husband have it and gotten a feature phone. Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

I can use an iPhone too, and my daughter-in-law calls me Techy Grandma, since I text back and forth to them, while her parents (both sighted), my age, do not at all.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Flor Lynch
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:08 PM

But, does this also apply to blind ‘seniors’?

Whilst it may be the case in America that ‘just about every blind person’
one knows, has a smart phone, it isn’t necessarily true in other developed countries. In Ireland, certainly a good majority do own and use smart phones. But there are those (say over 50’s) who don’t, or can’t get their heads around using them, not having the confidence or aptitude, or due to a lack of experienced fellow users in their localities. BTW, that said, I’m over 50 myself, and I have no trouble using an iPhone!

Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 12:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required) I agree.
Although I don't have any statistics to support my impression, just about every blind person I know directly or am aware of owns a smart phone of some kind.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 7:04 AM

I totally disagree with this I think there is a lot of blind people with smart phones and most don’t find them too hard to operate. Not that there is not some that would rather have a simple phone. That is their choice. You realize Uber does not have a phone number to call like taxi company. Uber is all just normal regular people doing a side job and not necessary doing this as a living. I sure there is some that is doing it full time . But it is their vehicle and their time . It not like a taxi company. Now I sure if you have a favorite Uber driver he or she might give you her or his cell phone so you could call them when you needed them. If you was a regular good paying customer.

Thanks,

Matt.from.florida@... <mailto:Matt.from.florida@...>

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 6:37 AM

But Uber is already engaging in a form of discrimination because they require customers to own a smart phone in order to book a ride, and most blind folks do not own smart phones because they either cannot afford them or else find them too difficult to learn and operate.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 8:08 PM

Well it was not that long ago less than 8 years ago they updated the ADA.
But yes it could use some more updating. But I don’t know what the ADA would have to do with Uber or taxies other than we have access to other. Another words you cannot be denied to ride in one because you are blind or have your Gide animal with you or whatever your service animal might be or might be far.

Thanks,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pablo Morales
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:38 PM

ADA was written decades ago, when in United States the technology today available was science fiction.

We need to update our legal framework, technology moves faster than representatives and senators. Look UBER, in several places they don’t know what to do with uber. New York has been trying to handle UBER in the same way how they handle taxi companies. NY makes money with the licenses that the city provide to taxi drivers. Now they are losing money.

Look the bunches of holes in ADA related with the online education. That law is written when the only way to take classes was in a class room. Like this, are many other examples.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:23 PM

I beg to differ. it did have something to do with ADA as I was not being allowed to have it in my name because I was blind. no other reason whatsoever but blindness. it was simple enough to challenge and remind the state that I have every legal right to own a vehicle.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:15 PM

Well that is true and this really owning a vehicle in your name has nothing to do with ADA at all. Only if you are driving one . In the case of being blind we are not allowed to drive one as of now. Now other disabilities is different. Say like people in a wheel chair or people with hearing loss and so on. They can drive cars as long as they can see and it can be adapted to be driven safe. This is where the complete automatic car comes in with no steering wheel or peddles to us as this would not matter then if you could see or not. As you would never have any kind of control over the vehicle.
But ones with steering wheels and peddles and an override button would be different as this would allow you to disengage the automatic function and this would be a bad thing for us. Unless this was somehow was able to tell if you was a seeing person or not and then lock you out of that function. I assume maybe they would have it so you put in your DL if visual and if not then you would skip this step and you would be locked out of taking over.

Thanks,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:51 PM

that was what I had to remind them of. the ADA and it does not matter if I own it as long as I do not drive it.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:27 PM

Well they cannot as far as I know in any state stop you from owning a vehicle. This would be demonstrating against us. You should be able to be the only one on the title. If they tell you different I think they would be wrong. But I sure each state has their own laws about this. Here in Florida it is no problem to be the only one on the title as long as you have a desnated driver and insurance. Now a DL is a total different thing.

Thanks,

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:14 PM

several years ago I had to fight to have only my name on the title. I did win that fight.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Yes you can hear in Florida as well and most all states . there is a different in owning one and driving it or having control of it in the car.
You can own one but you cannot drive one!

Thanks,

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 5:33 PM

I doubt I’ll run out and get one anyway, but sure would be interested in it.

I am going to guess they are going to be out of a lot of our price ranges.

I do know that in Washington blind people can own a vehicle. I do. lol

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:27 PM

I don't really have a good idea about cost, but based on most of the articles I have read, this capability should not significantly impact the cost since they are using existing off the shelf technology as much as possible.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 5:15 PM

I am in rural Washington and think it would be more accepted in rural areas way before urban areas. I know a lot of the smaller towns already allow ATV’s to use the town streets. I could do so much right here in town I could care less if I ever was able to use it to get to another state or town.

any word of cost?

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:32 PM

Well yes I think that the more liberal (blue ) states and then the mix (purple ) states will come on board first. I think most of the conservative states (red ) states will be the later states to come on board. But while this is all nice I also think this will be in the more heavy populated area that you see them and then they will at some point spread on out.

Now this being said it will I think still be a long time before I think a blind person will be allowed to have a driver licensing to drive one of these cars. The nice thing about it no steering wheel means no one can drive it. So with that the ones with no steering wheel I think we will come closer to being able to have one and ride in it by our self. I think it will be different for those that have a steering wheel.

The one that is completely and totally automatic with no steering wheel I see no reason to deny us.

But the thing is this is for this state . So it might be legal for Michigan it will not be legal for other states . so then you will not be able to drive across state line. This is good start but till it becomes a national law to have and drive these in all states it would be a burden for some.

Now like me more than likely I would never leave my state so it would be fine. But I think Florida is going to be on the later end of this. As they are a very red state. But maybe not they might get on board as a safety issue. I just hope I not too dam old when it comes a national thing to be able to own and have a total automatic car that you can drive anywhere in the USA. I would be happy to have it like just my state legal to buy own and use one in my state. Since it would be total automatic with no steering wheel or peddles then I cannot see them denying us over our seeing partners as neither one would have any more control then the other. JST!

Thanks,

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:48 PM

oh wow. this article did bring up something I never thought about: the misbehaving passengers. what will people do when there is no driver?

has anyone ever heard a price on the low end no driver cars?

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:37 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Michigan Legalizes Consumer Sales Of Self-Driving Vehicles (No Steering Wheels Or Pedals Required)

And the progress continues.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/10/michigan-legalizes-consumer-sales-self-driving-vehicles-no-steering-wheels-pedals-required/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7924 / Virus Database: 4739/13589 - Release Date: 12/13/16

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.