Re: Hi all, If you rename your folders and files with names that make sense while you are unzipping them, you're do much better. You don't have to put the zip files anywhere! You just need to write the path and the file name, e.g. c:\books\The_L

Cool, thanks for that. I couldn't remember.

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2015, at 12:14 AM, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:

For the record, you can in fact use dashes in file names.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hi all, If you rename your folders and files with names that make sense while you are unzipping them, you're do much better. You don't have to put the zip files anywhere! You just need to write the path and the file name, e.g. c:\books\The_Light_In_The_ForestHere are some file naming conventions. Avoid user spaces. Yes, I *know* that windows accepts spaces, but not all computer OS's do. Use file names that are relitively short, e.g. get rid of all that dross in NLS BARD file names. Just use the title of the book, and put dashes or underscores between words. Do not use apostrophes or commas or any other kind of weirdnesses, e.g. Eddies_Blue_Winged_Dragon. You know what the book title is, eliminate the apostrophe. Finally, when the unarchive tool askes you for a file name, *you* tell it where your books are to go. Don't let Microsoft dictate to you. Ann P..

Err, for some reason I thought I was replying to the BARD lift.... Lol parts of what I said would work though!

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2015, at 10:24 PM, Melissa Hammitt <mjmarney@...> wrote:

Hi,

I don't think you can use dashes in a file name. I used to put a period in place of the underscores, bud I started just capitalizing letters instead. Say you have The_Grapes_Of_Wrath. I remove the _ and cap the first letter of the next word. So it would look like this : TheGrapesOfWrath, so far it has worked for me. Also if the book is a part of a series I just add Bk1 or whatever number of that series the book is. For example: TheMagicianBk1

I also rename the zip file before I unzip it by making sure I have the file selected and hit the F2 key to edit the name and hit enter, this works with windows vista and 7 for certain as I have used it with those versions.

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2015, at 7:24 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:

Hi all,

If you rename your folders and files with names that make sense while you are unzipping them, you'll do much better.  You don't have to put the zip files anywhere!  You just need to write the path and the file name, e.g. c:\books\The_Light_In_The_Forest

Here are some file naming conventions.  Avoid using spaces.  Yes, I *know* that windows accepts spaces, but not all computer OS's do.  Use file names that are relitively short, e.g.. get rid of all that dross in NLS BARD file names.  Just use the title of the book, and put dashes or underscores between words..  Do not use apostrophes or commas or any other kind of weirdnesses, e..g. Eddies_Blue_Winged_Dragon.  You know what the book title is, eliminate the apostrophe.  After all, shorter file names means less typing if you're searching for a file.

Finally, when the unarchive tool askes you for a file name, *you* tell it where your  books are to go.  Don't let Microsoft dictate to you.

Ann P..

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring