Re: RansomFree - Protect your computer from ransomware #software #freeware

Carlos

You could make that argument for almost any type of security/antivirus software.  Whether it is based on virus definition databases or behavioral detection, no protection will ever be a hundred percent effective or undefeatable.  It is up to the developers to wage this constant battle and update the software's capabilities, no matter what detection methods are being used.  The developer claims the software will be updated regularly to implement new techniques.  I don't see anything here that is too good to be true.  The software claims to offer a specific type of protection.  It does not claim to be a hundred percent effective, nor does it suggest that it is a substitute for other types of protection.  Like most similar specialized security tools, it is intended to be run in addition to, not instead of antimalware/antivirus software.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] RansomFree - Protect your computer from ransomware

If this program is effective and is based on behavior rather than on program signature, that raises the question of how easy it might be for malware programmers to somehow circumvent the program.  I'm not a tech and this is my generalization, which may be too broad but it's my understanding that there is a way around anything.  So if this program becomes popular, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow, malware programmers can work around it.  Malware programmers have already designed malware that can elude detection by somehow installing itself in ways that even behavior algorithms don't see, as I recall the little I've read about this.

I hope there is discussion of this question.  It just sounds too good to be true, or true for long without a cat and mouse game beginning.