Re: Any recommendations on pc support.

Andrew <edrew@...>

Hi Gene, what you said sounded very sensible. That’s why this list is my go to for answers and advice.  Andrew

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Any recommendations on pc support.

I've seen many reports of that service being helpful.  But ai have seen a few reports of them doing technical work that hasn't solved problems or made them worse.  They don't all appear to be as competent technically as they should be.  And, while I don't know specifically what was done in this case, this is another story that causes me to treat carefully advice that uninstalling and reinstalling a program be used as one of the first ways to solve a problem.  There are many programs that can be uninstalled and reinstalled without causing problems but doing this as a first option often results in nothing but wasted time.  Also, Ive seen reports on another NVDA list of uninstalling Office, or perhaps Word, I don't recall the specifics now, damaging or removing files that shouldn't be removed that NVDA needs to function.  If it were me, and a tech recommended uninstalling Word or Office, I would first contact a site like bleeping computer, explain the problem, and see what the geeks who offer help on the site recommend.

Also, I'd be curious to know if the Microsoft security advisor ran System Restore at any time.  After uninstalling Word, it may be necessary to reinstall it to get the program to work fully or at all, I don't know.  But aside from reinstalling office, in this case, since uninstalling and reinstalling didn't solve the new problems, it appears that uninstalling did some sort of damage that wasn't corrected.  The fastest and easiest way to solve the problems, while providing full operation of Office again might have been to reinstall Office, then the run System Restore to a point before Office was uninstalled.  I consider it bad procedure and advice to uninstall Office or Word just to try to solve a problem of an update not installing.

I'll add that I am not a tech.  These are my opinions but they are not authoritative, rather those of an interested layman with some knowledge.  But I'd be interested in comments from you, Carlos and/or  others with stories to tell or tech qualifications.