Re: Any recommendations on pc support.

Carlos

As for MP3Gain, it is dependent on the Visual Basic run-times so make sure to use the full installer below.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Any recommendations on pc support.

The escalation tech remoted with me and he removed it. He then when re-installed office 2010 had to install a partial version of windows 7 so that the re-install would be trouble free. Programs like MP3 gain no longer works. My Outlook 2010 is a mess. I had a friend help me re-configure my Station Playlist.I’m troubled about this.

I need to add 2 email accounts, but even with the correct server settings. No workie.

Andrew

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:33 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

But my larger point is that at times, it is important not just to do what a service or tech says without more information.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot or perhaps most help given by Microsoft Accessibility is good or reasonable, but if one of their techs told me to remove Office or

Word, I would not do so without checking with others such as on this list and bleeping computer.  And if I used a specific screen-reader, I might try to get information about possible impact.  I've seen a number of problems people using NVDA havbe on the NVDA list if they remove word or office, I don't recall just which now.  But the uninstaller appears to remove files it shouldn't that NVDA needs for proper access. 

I doubt the techs at the Microsoft accessibility service have that kind of detailed knowledge.  At least I wouldn't expect them to. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:21 PM

I am only speaking out of experience.

Of dourse everyone’s pc is different and different issues my occur but in my case so far they have been a great help and support. I personally hve no complaints.

Smile

sugar

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:03 PM

I've seen many reports of that service being helpful.  But ai have seen a few reports of them doing technical work that hasn't solved problems or made them worse.  They don't all appear to be as competent technically as they should be.  And, while I don't know specifically what was done in this case, this is another story that causes me to treat carefully advice that uninstalling and reinstalling a program be used as one of the first ways to solve a problem.  There are many programs that can be uninstalled and reinstalled without causing problems but doing this as a first option often results in nothing but wasted time.  Also, Ive seen reports on another NVDA list of uninstalling Office, or perhaps Word, I don't recall the specifics now, damaging or removing files that shouldn't be removed that NVDA needs to function.  If it were me, and a tech recommended uninstalling Word or Office, I would first contact a site like bleeping computer, explain the problem, and see what the geeks who offer help on the site recommend. 

Also, I'd be curious to know if the Microsoft security advisor ran System Restore at any time.  After uninstalling Word, it may be necessary to reinstall it to get the program to work fully or at all, I don't know.  But aside from reinstalling office, in this case, since uninstalling and reinstalling didn't solve the new problems, it appears that uninstalling did some sort of damage that wasn't corrected.  The fastest and easiest way to solve the problems, while providing full operation of Office again might have been to reinstall Office, then the run System Restore to a point before Office was uninstalled.  I consider it bad procedure and advice to uninstall Office or Word just to try to solve a problem of an update not installing. 

I'll add that I am not a tech.  These are my opinions but they are not authoritative, rather those of an interested layman with some knowledge.  But I'd be interested in comments from you, Carlos and/or  others with stories to tell or tech qualifications.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:43 PM

I find that the Microsoft disability phone line is very helpful

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:30 PM

In my experience, contacting a blindness rehab agency and asking one of their technology trainers for help is usually fruitless unless you have an open case with them.  A few years ago when my old XP computer died I tried contacting the technology trainer at the rehab center who had originally set it up for me in my apartment a few years earlier when I was still working with them, but he ignored my pleas for help.  I even contacted their director of community services and was basically told to take a hike because they could not offer any assistance or even recommend a knowledgeable service technician unless I had an open case.  Thank goodness my techie friend was able to bail me out. 

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

Hello andrew, it is good to know that your computers up and working again. You're us in for future support I'm trying to get things fixed eventually, I would recommend looking at Best Buy or Staples or a local computer shop in your area. If it is blindness related, I would see is there any blindness trainers in your area, dad have interest in maybe helping fix your problems. Any of the services that I've mentioned above Will cost but very well worth it in the end. If you don't know how to find a good blemish related trainer in your area, I would looking contacting your local dollars office.. offers anything through it's office.

On Dec 21, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Andrew <edrew@...> wrote:

Hi Carlos and all, I’m asking this because I recently made a call to ms accessability help desk.

I needed help updating my security update for my Office 2010.

I really nice lady helped me but, made no headway. I was sent to escalation. The fellow thought uninstalling my Outlook 2010 would solve this.. He was wrong! It was not a good thing at all. They did more harm than good. With the help of friends, my pc has returned back to somewhat normal. My Outlook 2010 remains fobar.  BTW Merry Christmas to everyone! Ho, Ho, Ho

Andrew 

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.