Re: my dell laptop

Nimer Jaber

This thread has a lot of information, and reading it as a whole gives me a headache, so let me digest it for everyone if I can.

Many laptops have dual core processors. Whether they are hyper-threaded or not doesn't matter, they have two physical cores, therefore being dual-core. Some higher-end laptops, however, have quad-core processors. For the average user, and I would say for many above-average users, the quad-core I7 HQ processors are over-kill, but that is beyond the scope of this message... there are many laptops that have quad-cores, but they are more expensive and high-end, and most users do not request them because they are over-kill for all but the most demanding of tasks. More important is the speed and amount of RAM, and the speed of the read/write speeds of the hard drive... I would take a lower-specked processor with more faster ram and a newer, faster model SSD over a computer with a quad-core with less ram and a spinning drive. In any case, If Matt ordered an I7 quad-core, he will most likely receive an I7 quad-core, probably the 6700 HQ, as I am not sure that the 7700 is out. If Matt does not receive the HQ version, he can then say that Dell mislead him, but the fact is, we don't know that from these messages. I7's are more difficult to find because they are not as advertised because they are over-kill for most users, and the battery life is not as good... but this does not mean that they cannot be found, or that they cannot be ordered. So, hopefully he receives the I7 HQ processor, and hopefully he is happy with his purchase. if not, he can contact Dell and they can replace it with the right model.

Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Matt <matt.from.florida@...> wrote:

Well don’t know it looks like a dual core but why would they say it is a quad core. Is a dual core with 4 threads or processers or whatever the hell is the same as quad core? Just trying to understand why they call it quad core? This is unlike dell to say something it is not.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gregory
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:24 PM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] my dell laptop

Hi Matt,

The following link will give the specs of the Intel Core i7-7500U, which is dual core and runs at 2.7GHz. If your CPU on the new notebook is 3.5GHz, I don’t know what it is, unless they are referring to the max CPU speed under Turbo Boost. Anyway, let us know what the processor actually is when you receive it.

http://processors.specout.com/l/1969/Intel-Core-i7-7500U

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: 22 December 2016 23:58

So they call that a quad core eveven though it has two cores?  Wouldn’t that be a quad processer which would be about the same I assume.  I did ask if it had a quad core and they said yes so don’t know why they would say quad core when it is dual core.  I guess I know for sure Friday. When I look at about this PC it should tell me .

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gregory
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:48 PM

OK Matt,

The Intel Core I series for laptops are essentially all dual core, but have what they call 4 hyperthreads, and generally have turbo boost to increase processing power when required, that is why they usually describe the CPU speed as, for example, 2.7 -3.1GHz. If it were a true quad core it would have 8 hyperthreads. I don’t know of any laptop/notebook that incorporates a true quad core processor, so I am guessing that your new Dell is dual core, but with 4 hyperthreads.

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: 22 December 2016 23:15

Oh yes I always check on anything new to make sure it is what I suppose to get.  Now something come to mind . they are saying quad core . I just wondering they really mean dual core with 4 processers. Each core having two processers on each core.  I guess in one way that could be called a quad core . I would have called it quad processers . I assume if it is it would be just as good or better? Either way you usually don’t use but two processers unless you are doing something intense  and then the other processers kick in . Don’t know if there would be a benefit to having 4 cores with 1 processer on each core or two cores with two processers on each core. This is getting a little deep for me so don’t know.  You want to chime in on this Carlos?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:50 PM

hi

That is nice.  Make sure to check the processor when you get it though.

On 12/23/2016 12:08 AM, Matt wrote:

Hi, all I know is I requested a quad core processer and they said that would be what I would get a I 7 7th gen .  It had to be customize to that. I called them or did it over chat and then did the order over the phone. So if it not what they said it is it will be going back! Not paying that kind of money for a dual core processer.  They told me it would be a quad core processer.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:48 PM

hi,

The two model options I saw are with the i5 7200u and i7 7500 u both of which are dual core. And true, the 7500 u runs at 3.5 ghz.  It is surprising that many manufacturers are bundling ultra low voltage (U) processors in 15 inch notebooks that can handle quad core processors.  Personally, I am going to hold onto this computer as long as I can and get an HQ processor when I need a new one.

On 12/22/2016 11:18 PM, Matt wrote:

Hi, yes I got the touch screen and I got my custom made! With the I 7 7th gen processer  it is not standard built! They do make it with the Dual core processer.  Which is standard built.  My has the quad core processer I 7  7th gen up to 3.5 GHZ and 16 GB of ram and 512 GB SD and rose Gold in color and touch screen. They make the 9360 in touch screen and without the touch screen the one without max out with a duel core processer. I also got the 2 year warranty with it.  But it was custom made to my specs.

Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:35 PM

hi,

are you sure it has a quad core?  From what I can see, it has an i7 7500 U processor, which is definitely a dual core processor.

my source is:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9360-QHD-i7-7500U-Notebook-Review.181471.0.html

On 12/22/2016 7:21 PM, Matt wrote:

I have no idea I have not got it yet. It is a Dell XPS 9360  so you might could call dell and ask them or see if they have aa picture of it and get  a seeing person to see if it does. I will use a external keyboard most of the time not the built in one. I have never liked the laptop keyboards . I use them when I have no other choice.  I really wanted a surface pro 4 but what kept me from that was the lack of ports it has on it.  Otherwise I would have got it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:42 AM

This sounds great and I am kicking around the idea of a new laptop. I know that Carlos recently said the Dell computer is really good these days. I do have one question. does the laptop have a context key on the right of the space bar and a ctrl key on each side? My 13 inch Toshiba has those keys and I find it so much faster to use.

Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:07 AM

I 7 7th gen Quad core.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:46 AM

Smiles, I’d agree with the optimistic statement. I’m curious which chipset came in this machine?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:39 AM

Sounds like a good package; how much dollars. 10 years for a laptop?   Seems a bit optimistic.

Good luck,

Monte

Sent: December-22-16 2:22 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] my dell laptop

Well I order a Dell XPS 9360 laptop. This is my Xmas to myself.

It has 13 inch screen and 16 gB of ram and Quad core processer up to 3.5 GHZ and 512 SD drive. This is the biggest part of the specs and I hope t to get around a decade out of this if not more.  I needed a backup windows pct. to my desktop. It has better specs than my desktop so  I might end up making this my main PC. My desktop is a Dell XPS with Quad core processer and 12 GB of ram and a 750 rpm HD with a storage of 750 GB. And a dedicated graphic card with 2 GB of on board memory. I have had this desktop for about 6 years or so. Running great it has W10 on it now W10 pro .

BTW it supposed to be here this week or the first of next week.

Thanks,

Matt.from.florida@...

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.