This thread has a lot of information, and reading it as a whole gives me a headache, so let me digest it for everyone if I can.

Many laptops have dual core processors. Whether they are hyper-threaded or not doesn't matter, they have two physical cores, therefore being dual-core. Some higher-end laptops, however, have quad-core processors. For the average user, and I would say for many above-average users, the quad-core I7 HQ processors are over-kill, but that is beyond the scope of this message... there are many laptops that have quad-cores, but they are more expensive and high-end, and most users do not request them because they are over-kill for all but the most demanding of tasks. More important is the speed and amount of RAM, and the speed of the read/write speeds of the hard drive... I would take a lower-specked processor with more faster ram and a newer, faster model SSD over a computer with a quad-core with less ram and a spinning drive. In any case, If Matt ordered an I7 quad-core, he will most likely receive an I7 quad-core, probably the 6700 HQ, as I am not sure that the 7700 is out. If Matt does not receive the HQ version, he can then say that Dell mislead him, but the fact is, we don't know that from these messages. I7's are more difficult to find because they are not as advertised because they are over-kill for most users, and the battery life is not as good... but this does not mean that they cannot be found, or that they cannot be ordered. So, hopefully he receives the I7 HQ processor, and hopefully he is happy with his purchase. if not, he can contact Dell and they can replace it with the right model.

Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Matt <matt.from.florida@...> wrote:

Well don’t know it looks like a dual core but why would they say it is a quad core. Is a dual core with 4 threads or processers or whatever the hell is the same as quad core? Just trying to understand why they call it quad core? This is unlike dell to say something it is not.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gregory
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:24 PM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] my dell laptop

Hi Matt,

The following link will give the specs of the Intel Core i7-7500U, which is dual core and runs at 2.7GHz. If your CPU on the new notebook is 3.5GHz, I don’t know what it is, unless they are referring to the max CPU speed under Turbo Boost. Anyway, let us know what the processor actually is when you receive it.

http://processors.specout.com/l/1969/Intel-Core-i7-7500U

John.