From: Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 5:01 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] FILE or folder location is denied

The key here is to take ownership of the file or folder in question which
that article does mention, but does not actually provide instructions for
doing so as far as I can tell. Here are some instructions I wrote a while
back which might help.

Usually this problem occurs because you have to take ownership of the
files/folders before you can grant yourself full permissions. Windows does
have equivalent commands to chmod.

For example, to take ownership of a specific file and grant yourself full
permissions you could use the following from the command prompt:

takeown /f "C:\folder name\file name.ext“&&icacls "C:\folder name\file
name.ext" /grant administrators:F

To do the same with an entire folder, all of it's files and subfolders:

takeown /f "C:\folder" /r /d y&&icacls "C:\folder" /grant administrators:F
/t

If that doesn't work, you can alternatively try the following instructions:

1. Highlight the folder in Explorer.

2. Press Alt Enter to access it's properties.

3. Navigate to the
"Security"
tab.

4. Tab to the
"Advanced"
button and select it.

5. See what it says in the
"Owner"
field. If it already says
"Administrators"
proceed to step 9. If it says anything else like
"TrustedInstaller"
tab to the
"Change"
link and press the Spacebar to select it.

6. Type
"Administrators"
and select the
"OK"
button.

7. Tab to the
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
checkbox and enable it.

8. Select the
"Apply"
button. After a couple of seconds, you should receive a dialog which says,

Windows Security
If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need to close
and reopen this object's properties before you can view or change
permissions.
OK

9. Select the
"OK"
button to close the dialog and then select
"OK"
twice more to close the
"Advanced Security Settings"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

10. Again making sure that the folder is highlighted, press Alt Enter to
reopen the
"Properties"
dialog.

11. Return to the
"Security"
tab.

12. Select the
"Edit"
button.

13. Select
"Administrators"
from the list.

14. Tab to the
"Allow Full control"
checkbox and enable it.

15. Select the
"Apply"
button.

16. Select the
"OK"
button twice to close the
"Permissions"
and
"Properties"
dialogs respectively.

17. Try doing whatever you were attempting in the folder again.