Re: FILE or folder location is denied

Gene

You may have discussed it before but I don't recall.  It's also worth pointing out that there are some bloatware programs that you know can be deleted.  But people often delete programs without knowing what they do and they later find they can't do something that program would have done.  Just because something is included on a computer by the manufacturer doesn't automatically make it bloatware.

Also, I don't install software unless I have a way to revert the computer in case the software unexpectedly causes problems and uninstalling it doesn't stop them or in case the uninstallation causes unexpected problems.

From: Mohamed
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2016 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] FILE or folder location is denied

Yes Gene, as you probably know, I once deleted the folder for the
public user account in Windows, and I couldn't install software.
The lesson I learned from that is *never* delete files unless you
have a good reason, and if Windows isn't letting you delete them,
there's probably a very good reason why.

From: Carlos  <carlos1106@...
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, December 23, 2016 5:01 pm

 The key here is to take ownership of the file or folder in
question which
 that article does mention, but does not actually provide
instructions for
 doing so as far as I can tell.  Here are some instructions I
wrote a while
 back which might help.

 Usually this problem occurs because you have to take ownership
of the
 files/folders before you can grant yourself full permissions.
Windows does
 have equivalent commands to chmod.

 For example, to take ownership of a specific file and grant
yourself full
 permissions you could use the following from the command prompt:

 takeown /f "C:\folder name\file name.ext"&&icacls "C:\folder
name\file
 name.ext" /grant administrators:F

 To do the same with an entire folder, all of it's files and
subfolders:

 takeown /f "C:\folder" /r /d y&&icacls "C:\folder" /grant
administrators:F
 /t

 If that doesn't work, you can alternatively try the following
instructions:

 1.  Highlight the folder in Explorer.

 2.  Press Alt Enter to access it's properties.

 3.  Navigate to the
 "Security"
 tab.

 4.  Tab to the
 "Advanced"
 button and select it.

 5.  See what it says in the
 "Owner"
 field.  If it already says
 "Administrators"
 proceed to step 9.  If it says anything else like
 "TrustedInstaller"
 tab to the
 "Change"
 link and press the Spacebar to select it.

 6.  Type
 "Administrators"
 and select the
 "OK"
 button.

 7.  Tab to the
 "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
 checkbox and enable it.

 8.  Select the
 "Apply"
 button.  After a couple of seconds, you should receive a dialog
which says,

 Windows Security
 If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need
to close
 and reopen this object's properties before you can view or
change
 permissions.
 OK

 9.  Select the
 "OK"
 button to close the dialog and then select
 "OK"
 twice more to close the
 "Advanced Security Settings"
 and
 "Properties"
 dialogs respectively.

 10.  Again making sure that the folder is highlighted, press Alt
Enter to
 reopen the
 "Properties"
 dialog.

 11.  Return to the
 "Security"
 tab.

 12.  Select the
 "Edit"
 button.

 13.  Select
 "Administrators"
 from the list.

 14.  Tab to the
 "Allow Full control"
 checkbox and enable it.

 15.  Select the
 "Apply"
 button.

 16.  Select the
 "OK"
 button twice to close the
 "Permissions"
 and
 "Properties"
 dialogs respectively.

 17.  Try doing whatever you were attempting in the folder again.